for that purpose; also a wharf, as the transportation must be by water. Previous to this time there was a little wharf or landing farther up the stream, east of the Keith factory, used mostly by stone sloops. It can easily be located to-day. They also built a canal to connect with Elias Pond, near the cemetery with a flume in the east corner. One can trace the lines of the canal now; Raymond Street crosses its old bed.
The reservoir on Commercial Street, still called by that name, was separate from the canal, the bank between the two having since been washed away and connected by a flume in the north corner. Probably the next step was the erection of the many buildings which we will describe as we remember them as early as 1855. The big car barn of to-day replaced their first building wholly of wood, which was burned June 16, 1869, always called "The Rolling Mill"or just plain "Mill."
Farther down opposite the garage was the Center factory, formnerly the tack factory of Dean Randall. The Art Leather Company occupied it at the time it was burned. Opposite was the Old Forge, for many years used as a storehouse and later as a garage, also burned with the Center and the Town House.
In the mind of the writer is a faint impression of an earlier period when this forge was turning out anchors, big chains or similar products.
At the wharf was the Lower factory, now used as a wool-scouring plant, though it constitutes but a small part of the present group of buildings. Between it and the wharf was the slate storehouse now almost hidden by surrounding buildings. Between the canal and Leavitt's coal yard facing, the railroad, was the Cooper Shop,where the nail kegs were put together, the hoops and staves being made elsewhere. The Carpenter Shop was about the center of Herring Island. On the left as one entered the mill yard was the stone office (still there). South of the office and above it was the big barn and several tenements. The Company owned some dozen or fifteen tenements from the pond to the wharf.On the right, just above the Mill, was the boarding house. A few years ago this building was divided in the center and moved to Riley Avenue, and rebuilt into tenements. Each nail factory had its own blacksmith shop and was limited to the cutting of certain sizes, mostly from hot plate. The mill was the main thing. In the west end were the nail machines, cutting the big spikes, 20 and 40 penny and large board nails. At the other end in the southeast corner, close to Iron Hill Street, was the big forty-foot diameter overshot water wheel, which ran the rolls. Later, the bigwheel was removed and turbines substituted. It took so much more water to run them that it caused an annual shutdown for want of water, whereas before this happened only in a dry season. Once under way the momentum of a big overshot was sufficient to carry it with a comparatively small quantity of water. Next to the wheel were rolls of various sizes.