The meeting place was in the Universalist Vestry, Weymouth. Committees were chosen to visit similar meetings in other places, - on March 16, 1842, at North Weymouth; March 29 at Stongh. ton. At one time Dedham sent an invitation to Weymouth to participate in honoring William Smith, a hotel keeper, who had relinquished the sale of intoxicating liquor. This Temperance Festival was held June 23, 1842, and was under the charge of Edwin Thompson. The Cold Water Parade held in Boston on the 1~01.lrth of July was known as the Temperance jubilee. The Weymouth Washingtonians, with Maj. Elias Hunt as marshal, visited Hingham July 4, 1842.
Darius Smith was the second President and R. K. Trott, H. J. Gardner and C. C. Jordan, Secretaries.
In 1846-47 John 0. Foye was President and M. K. Pratt, Secretary, the meetings being held in Liberty Hall.In 1848 J. Hunt was President and E. Evans, Secretary.
In 1849 William Bartlett was President and John 0. Foye, Secretary. On Oct. 26, 1849, the last meeting of the Society was held.
The workers were earnest and many burdens were taken up by them in their struggles against intemperance. Many were successful, some failed, but the grand work of this Society filled a large field and gave its greatest lessons to coming generations.
On June 3, 1923, The Women's Committee of One Hundred of the Weymouth Branch of the Citizen's Alliance of Massachusetts met and organized a working body which had for its purposes -
Firse. - To prevent the raising of money for any purposes by lotteries and to bring all the organizations in Weymouth to follow the lead of the Vice-Commander of the American Legion in refusing to collect money in this manner.
Second. - The Alliance has in view the education of the public to a knowledge of what the law actually provides, and to the great need and benefits of its enforcement.
Third. -To secure obedience to the law, adopted by the Town of Weymouth, which prohibits and provides a severe penalty for the taking of money at any of the Sunday games or sports, either as a direct charge or by collections.
Fourth. -To undertake the obligation of securing obedience to all laws, both by individuals and organizations, in order that the chi]. dren of the town might have a fair chance for the right kind of living.
J. F. Robinson of South Weymouth was selected as President of the Alliance, and in opening his address spoke strongly in favor of carrying out the letter of the law in relation to the Eighteenth Amendment. It was pointed out that if it should not be thoroughly upheld i here will surely follow "a contempt for the law which will undermine our very foundations."
The Alliance proposes to educate the People ill matters which law-abiding citizens wish to know, showing them the benefits closely following in the wake of good government. The State law against lotler;-., raffl.. 11--- -11 -as refffed o ;rt the address. At the Sunday games and concerts, in many cases, collections are taken, a custom which should not receive any support.
Mrs. Florence Burgoyne of East Weymouth was appointed chairman, and Mrs. Junie B. Morrill of South Weymouth, Miss Lomisa Humphrey of North Weymouth, Mrs. T. S. Sampson of Weymouth and Miss Janet Harlow of East Weymouth were elected members of the Executive Committee of the Alliance.
Orphans Hope Lodge, A. F. and A. M. was constituted June 8, 1825, by virtue of a charter by the M. W. Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, signed by the following-named Grand Officers;
The meetings were held in an upper room in the brick building at Weymouth Landing, now occupied by the Cowing family, the remainder of the bouse being used as a dwelling, until 1827 or 1828, when the meetings were held at North Weymouth.
During the anti-Masonic period the meetings were discontintied (about 1830) arid the charter, etc., was returned to the Grand Lodge. Unfortunately the records from 1825 to the discontinuance of holding meetings cannot be located, but from a return made to the Grand Lodge Oct. 21, 1828, it appears that the Lodge had made gratifying progress and growth, In that return the following organization was reported:
An inventory of the property of the Lodge at that time totaled $178.95 (a great contrast when compared with present holdings).
On Aug. 6, 1856, a meeting of Master Masons was held at Cres. cent Hall, East Weymouth, to consider petitioning the Grand Lodge for return of the charter; eighteen Master Masons present, and the unanimous sentiment being favorable, a committee was chosen to notify the District Deputy Grand Master and Old Colony Lodge, Hingham, that a petition to that effect would be presented to the Grand Lodge at its next meeting.
At this meeting each of the Brothers subscribed $10 as a Loan to the Lodge.
On Aug. 27, 1856, the committee reported that Crescent Lodge, 1. 0. 0. F., would lease their hall to the Lodge for meetings at $2 per night, including lighting and heating, Orphans Hope Lodge to make alterations as may be necessary at their own expense. The report was accepted and adopted.
On Sept. 13, 1856, the Charter was returned by the C3rand Lodge, endorsed by Winslow Lewis, Grand Master, Charles W. Moore, Grand Secretary, the following brethren, who were members at the time of suspension, being named therein:
The fees for the Degrees were fixed at $5 for each degree; annual dues, $2. Meetings to be held Wednesday evenings in each month on or before the full moon.
The first applications for initiation were made by Isaac Reed, William Humphrey and James C. Ford. Brother A. W. Oldham presented a "Lodge flooring."On Oct . 8, 1856, the officers were duly installed.
Early in 1860 the question of securing a location for holding meetings under direct Masonic supervision was discussed and a committee appointed to arrange the same.
On Feb. 21, 1860, Masonic Hall over Loud's store (so called), now the Ford Furniture Company, was dedicated by M. W. Wins. low Lewis, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, assisted by the officers of the Grand Lodge, and the meetings were held at this hall until 1884.
On Nov. 22, 1882, the subject of erecting a Masonic Building was discussed, the present hall not being adapted to the needs of the Lodge and other Masonic bodies, and a building committee was appointed consisting of -
On July 18, 1883, the committee Submitted plans and it was voted, that the committee have full powers to erect a building to be substantially the plans as submitted by them, limiting the cost to $10,000.
On Oct. 17, 1884, the Masonic Building was dedicated by M. W. Abraham Hathaway Howland, Jr., Grand Master of Masons in .~lassachusetts, and Officers of the Grand Lodge, and Orphans llope Lodge had for the first time in its history a truly and adequate home, which was enjoyed for twenty-eight years. It is interesting to note that four of the contractors in charge of erection were Masons, three of whom were members of Orphans Hope Lodge, viz.:
. , Chase, Jr., 1898-1900. T. J. Evans, 1900-01. Fred L. Bayley, 1901-03. Frank H. Torrey, 1903-05. Wm, P. Denbroeder, 1905-07. Leavitt W. Bates, 1907-09. G rdger R 1'. Barker, 1909-11. CLr W. D..bar, 1911-13. George F. Farrar, 1913-15. Stanley T. Torrey, 1915-17. Charles 11. (Aiubbuck, 1917-19, Henry P. Tilden, 1919-.
Reviewing a story of so much interest, the compiler is temp ted to note so many items and incidents in connection, especially if a participant, that it might become tiresome; however, it would seem pertinent if a few of these incidents were touched upon.
On June 23, 1869, twenty-three members received dernits for the purpose of affiliating with Delta Lodge at Weymouth Landing, Orphans Hope Lodge having previously recommended to the Grand Lodge granting a dispensation for a new Lodge to be located in that part of the town.
On Nov. 11, 1920, a like request from Master Masons in South Weymouth was granted and a request for dispensation approved.
In 1875 the semi-centennial of the Lodge was observed by an appropriate program at the Weymouth Town Hall, which included
'dward Avery, a former ,in excellent address by R. W. Brother E
member of Orphans Hope Lodge, a Past Master of Delta Lodge and Past D. D. Grand Master.
A comparison of the roster of Reynolds Post No. 58 G. A. R., with the list of members of Orphans Hope Lodge, shows that ap. proximately 33 members served in the Civil War.
The number of members who served during the World War was approximately 42. Five Past Masters were appointed District Deputy Grand Master by respective Grand Masters, viz.:
A notable feature in connection with this review of Orphans Hope Lodge is the long terms of service of several officers, viz.:
The total number of Master Masons who have been or are now affiliated with Orphans Hope Lodge is 679. Death or other causes have decreased the number 344. The present membership is 335.
For nearly a century Orphans Hope Lodge has been an important factor in connection with the town of Weymouth. It has always pursued a quiet conservative course, but the influence has always been for the progress and welfare of the town. Mary of the prominert citizens have been and are members. It is now passing through a most prosperous period, and when its centennial is observed, as no doubt it should and will be, the history then will show that Orphans I-lope Lodge, the oldest organized body in the town, has a record worthy of emulation and commanding universal commendation.
The Order of Masonry dates back to a time of which we have no authentic records. The Middle Ages gave immense incentive to organizations of this character, for it was then that the great cathedrals were built, and church and ecclesiastical architecture flourished throughout Europe, and members of these guilds traveled with especial patronage of the church. They were specially endowed by certain privileges not granted to masons who were not builders, hence the term " Free Masons." Later we find these different guilds combining and probably establishing lodges and fraternal societies which easily fostered the Lodge of Masons.
Orphans Hope Lodpe was instituted on June 8, 1825, at Weyniouth Landing, the charter being granted to "John Edson and others." John Edson was the first Worshipful Master and Timothy Gordon the first Secretary. During the Anti-Masonic exciternent the charter of the Lodge was surrendered in 1830, but on Sept. 10, 1856, it was restored to the Lodge.
Regular meetings of this Lodge are now held on the second Thursday evenings of each month. A fine new temple has recently been erected at East Weymouth for the use of the Masonic bodies of Weymouth.706 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
Of the higher degrees, Pentalpha Royal Arch t-hapter field its first meeting June 14, 1870, Stephen S. Bradford, High Priest ' William Humphrey, King, A. A. Hitchcock, Scribe, Samuel A. Bates, Secretary.
The beginning of what finally came to be Pentalpha Royal Arch Chapter was a meeting of several Companions in Washington Hall, Weymouth, May 9, 1870. It was voted to apply for a charter to organize a chapter. Other meetings were held in Delta Lodge room, in the vicinity of Bates Opera House. At the first meeting Stephen S. Bradford, who had previously been elected High Priest, was appointed to present a petition to have a new Chapter to Pilgrim Royal Arch Chapter of Abington, which held jurisdiction over Weymouth.
On May 30, 1870, the new Chapter decided to bear the name Pentalpha, and the petition was granted by the Abington Chapter, which was in turn followed by the dispensation from the Grand High Priest, Henry Pickering, and fifty-nine Companions or. ganized a Chapter and afterwards became t~e Charter members, Under this dispensation the first meeting was held on June 14, 1870, and officers were elected as follows: -
At this meeting 20 applications for the degrees were received. Work in conferring the degrees proceeded immediately, meetings being held every two weeks until Jan. 24, 1871, when the charter was constituted, consecrated and recorded by the Chapter. The first year saw an addition of 41 members accepted. The following years were taken up by routine work. Much work and attention was required to preserve the Chapter during the years of 1879 to 1889, St. Stephens Chapter of Quincy gathering in many candidates otherwise under the Pentalpha jurisdiction.
In March, 1890, in answer to a communication, the trustees of the Masonic Hall Association, East Weymouth, made arrangements so that the Chapter should have a Lodge Home in the new building, and they first met in this hall April 8, 1890.
The progression in members and interest has steadily grown, and in 1921 the Chapter has a membership of about 400.
Delta Lodge A. F. and A. M. was instituted on June 6, 1868, when a dispensation was granted by Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts, to Edward Avery and others for a new lodge in Weymouth to be called "Delta," and three days later on June 9, 1868, the 1,odge held its first regular communication, and on July 4 of the same year made its first public appearance when it joined with Orphans Hope Lodge in dedicating the Soldiers' Monument at Weymouth. This was during the days when Zechariah L. Bicknell was District Deputy Grand Master for the district, and upon his recommendation the Grand Lodge voted on June 9, 1869, that a charter be granted the thirty petitioners. On July 2, 1869, the Grand Lodge came out from Boston for the purpose of constituting ,and consecrating the new Lodge and installing the new officers. '17his service was performed in a most impressive manner by Most ~Vorshipful William Sewall Gardner, Grand. Master, assisted by other Officers of the Grand Lodge.
Hon. Edward Avery was the first master of the Lodge and was very largely instrumental in promoting the new Lodge. Of the thirty charter members, typical and representative of the South Shore citizenry of a lialf century ago, twenty-three were members of Orphans Hope Lodge, one of Rural, one of John Cutler, one of old Colony, one of St. Pauls, one of Adelphi, one of St. Johns No. I of New York City and one of Solomons Lodge No. I of Charleston, S. C. Two of these charter members are still living, while all tile others who subscribed their names with the firm hand and enthusiastic purpose of a vigorous manhood have crumbled to dust and long since joined their fathers.
The first meeting place of the lodge was in Good Templars Hall, Weymouth Landing, in the building now standing at the southeast corner of Washington and Front Streets, but it was not long before' the increased membership and social ambitious of its members708 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
necessitated larger and better quarters, and in 1870 a lease was taken of a large two-story ell attached to the residence of Elias Richards in Washington Square. This building was astride flnA liptwppn the two towns and therefore one part of the Lo I--- --- ____ -_ -_
room was in Weymouth and the other part in Braintree. The Lodge remodeled the interior of the property for its purposes in a most tasteful manner and fitted it out with dignified and costly furniture. As a credit to the makers of those days it may be stated that much of the furniture in use by the Lodge to-day is that which was installed at this time. In 1890 the Lodge removed to Pythian Hall, located in a building on Washington Street near its first meeting place, and remained there until its removal to Braintree where its meetings were first held in Pythian Hall in that town. Pythian Hall occupied the upper part of the Lyceum Building (so-called), located in Storr's Square, and which has since been destroyed by fire. The Lodge occupied these quarters until December, 1907, when the present Temple on Washington Street in Braintree was dedicated.
The Lodge enjoyed years of great social prosperity when its fame was spread far and wide in the Country side. When Delta was entertaining all roads led to the Landing, they came in their carriages and barges for a radius of twenty miles or more around, for they knew from experience that the cooking of the good houseWives of Weymouth was of a high order and that the turkeys and other good things which were to be served to them that evening would be done to a turn. The early records of the Lodge are filled with references to the many occasions of this kind.
On June 17, 1874, on invitation of the Masons resident in Brain. tree and under escort of the Old Colony Commandery of Abington and South Shore Commandery of East Weymouth, the Lodge assisted in the dedication of the Soldiers' Monument in Braintree, and on July 4 of the same year it participated in the celebration of the 250th anniversary of the town of Weymouth. On the afternoon of Sept. 26, 1881, the Lodge held a special communication for the purpose of attending memorial exercises in the union Congregational Church in honor of James A. Garfield, deceased President of the United States, who was a distinguished member of the fraternity. Aug. 1, 1889, the Lodge attended the dedication of Pilgrim Monument at Plymouth. The occasion was sadly marred by drenching rain at the time the exercises were held. As stated before, the Lodge moved to the town of Braintree in 1900 as the result of changing conditions at the Landing and has prospered exceedingly in the interval, having at the present time a membership of over 500. The present Temple was dedicated on Dec. 7, 1907, by Most Worshipful John Albert Blake, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, assisted by various Officers of flu, Grand Lodge.
The Lodge observed the fiftieth anniversary of its constitution by a three days' celebration on June 1, 2 and 3, 1919. On Sunday, June 1, the Lodge with its invited guests marched in procession to the First Congregational Church and enjoved a varied musical program and an eloquent discourse by the Rev. Edward A. 1-forton, D.D., Senior Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge, the occasion being one of great dignity and impressiveness. On Monday, June 2, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, M. W. Melvin M. Johnson, Past Grand Master, and a large suite of Masonic dignitaries were received and escorted to the Town Hall where an elaborate dinner was served to nearly 400. After being welcomed by the Master of the Lodge, Henry D, Higgins, a wonderful oration was delivered by Grand Master Abbott, a delightful and witty speech by Past Grand Master Johnson, and the historical address by Walter J. Harrison a past Master of the Lodge. Tuesday evening was devoted to the ladies, when an elaborate entertainment was provided in the Town Hall, followed by refreshments of a varied nature, and dancing.
Appended to the historical address delivered by W. M. Walter J. Harrison was a short biographical sketch of each of the thirty charter members, and as practically all of these men were pronin . - nent or well-known in Weymouth we believe the same will be of interest to many readers of this history and so we are publishing them in full.
EDWARD AVERY was born in Marblehead, Mass., March 12, 1828, the sort of Gen. Samuel and Mary (Candler) Avery. After pUrsuing his studies in his native town and at tile classical school of Mr. Brook,i in Boston, lie chose tile profession of law and &tudied in the office of F. W. Choate, Esq., in Boston and also at the Harvard Law School, Ile was admitted to the bar in April, 1849, and began the practice of his profession at Barre, Mass. In 1850 lie removed to Boston and opened a law office with Gen. M. Hobbs as partner. Tlie laws of bankruptcy and itibolvc,icy received his early attention and secured for ]]fill an extensive practice an([ a leading position at the bar, which lie maintained until the time of his decease. In 1852 he married Susan Caroline Stetson, daughter of Caleb Stetson, and took up his residence in Braintree in 1853. Ile was a member of the lower branch of the legislature from Braintree in 1866 and of the 710 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
State Senate in 1867. In the latter year lie was a candidate for both the House of Representatives and State Senate and was elected to both branches, defeating the famous "Citizen" Hobart for the Senate and took his seat in that body. Ile was a member of several state and national conventions of his party, was a candidate for Secretary Of tile State and was several times candichle F- -I,-
na.tionat Congress. He was the first Master of the Lodge and held that position for the years 1868 to 1870; was District Deputy Grand Master of the l6th Masonic District from 1871 to 1874 and again in 1880; and in June, 1877, a, elected junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge, being the only member of Delta Lodge who has been honored with a permanent membership in the Grand Lodge. lie died at his residence in Boston Dec. 29, 1896, and was buried from Emmanuel Church December 31. The services were in charge of the M. W. Grand Lodge with M. W. Chas. C. Hutchinson, officiating with tile assistance of the Rev. Brother Edw. A. Horton, and the offices of the church were per. formed by the Rev. Leighton Parks and the Rev. Win. Hyde. Delta Lodge neld a special communication which convened at the Masonic Temple in Boston for the purpose of attending the funeral. So passed away one whom we have no hesitation in denominating the " Father of Delta Lodge," for it was owing to his initiative, powers of attracting others to hiniself and constructive ability that Delta Lodge came into being, and then through his generosity and influence that the Lodge attained its high standing in its earlier years. Up to the present tilre he is the greatest figure in the history of the Lodge and although none of te, know what the future may produce it would seem as though he might remain so for all time.
NATHANIEL FREDERIC THAYER HUNT was born in 'Weymouth June 30, 1835. the son of Maj. Llias and Eliza Maria Theresa (Soper) Hoot. He attended the schools of his native town and then engaged in the fancy goods business as , traveling salesman, being particularly SUCCeSSfUl as such until failing health compelled him to retire. Ile was raised in St. John's Lodge No. 1 of New York City as the first Senior Warden of Delta Lodge and a very enthusiastic member for ti,we first few years following tht founding of the Lodge. He died at Scituate Harbor Mass,, Aug. 29 1921.
ELis;lA WATSON AR~oUo was born in Braintree March 25, 1837, raised in Orphans Hope Lodge June 3, 1863, and was the first junior Warden of Delta. He demitted Sept. 30, 1879. lie was town clerk of Braintree from 1864 to 1868, inclusive, slid represented Braintree in the lower house in 1868. For a number of years he conducted a general store in what was then known as the " Lyceum I oil Storrs' Square, Braintree, later selling it out aild founding the provision firm of Skinner & Arnold oil Dock Square in Boston, le died while taking the batles at I tot Springs, Va., May 21 1899.
AMOS STONE WHITE Wls ilorn in Ashburnharn, Mass., April 6, 1816, the son of josiah and Matilda (Stone) White. Ile was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge July 25, 1860, and upon the founding of Delta became its first Treasurer, a position which lie field for fourteen years and upon then resigning received a rising vote of thanks from the Lodge. Being treasurer of the lodge in those days apparently embraced duties not conceded by our present-day treasurer% even if they are connected with large and infloenlial financial institutions, fur we learn from the records that all bills were paid upon presentation whether .there was any money in the treasury or not. lie conducted a drug store in Washington Square, Weymouth, was [or thirty-four years treasurer of tile Weymouth Savings Bank ' Trustee of Tufts' Library, and occupied other Posi. tions of trust an([ responsibility in Weymouth affairs. lie demitted Feb. 1,3. 1886, and died in Weymouth March 27, 1891.
CHARLES GILMAN TDompsoil was born in Weymouth Oct. 20, 1837, tile son of Giblian and Lucinda Thompson. He was raised in Adelphi Lodge April 5, 1866, and was tile first Secretary of Delta. Like the Treasurer, Amos S. W!~te, lie served the Lodge for fourteen years, resigned at the same time and participated with him in the rising vote of thanks accorded them by the Lodge. He was a man of marked social characteristics, deeply interested in the welfare o the Lodge Ind an officer of exceptional ability. In the records of the Lodge as com. piled by him, lie has left the Lodge a legacy which is the admiration of all and
at once the envy an.d despair of all succeedin secretaries, for his beautiful penmanship resembles more the copy plate of tfe steel engraver than the chirography of the penman, with the names of candidates and other items of importance in the records thrown up in,large script and heavily shaded, For many
t Mrs he was connected with Tile old nrm of J. D. a M. i~ duarns, zaare brreer, Caton, and later succeeded them under the name of Thompson & Leavitt. He died at his residence in Braintree Feb. 4, 1904.
ALVERDO MASON was born in Swansea, Mass., Feb. 25, 1821. lie was raised in St. Paul's Lodge Nov. 3, 1863, was Secretary of the petitioners for a dispensition for Delta, served as the first Senior Deacon of the Lodge and was junior Warden in 1872. After his graduation from Oberlin College of Oberlin, Ohio, he served for many years as teacher in the schools of Braintree and during that time compiled a copy of the first book of records of his native town where his ancestors had lived for more than two hundred years and which he published at his own expense. In later life lie was postmaster at h"llist Braintree for eight years. He died at Braintree May 13, 1892.
ALDEN WILDER NASH was born in Weymouth Jan. 10, 1835, the son of George and Nancy (Burrell) Nash. He was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge Aug. 15, 1866. lie was a man of most agreeable manners and conversat on and in bU.4ineSS Was a hour manufacturer, conducting a large and ja0filabIQ bUSilICS5, Upon tile founding of the Lodge, lie becaine its first Junior Deacon, was Senior Deacon from 1869 to 1871, Senior Warden in 1872 and 1873 and died in office April 0, 1873.
ELBRIDGE THOMAS RICHARDS was born in Weymouth Feb. 15, 1837, the soil of Thomas and Lydia (Shaw) Richards. He was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge March 4, 1868. Ile was the first Senior Steward of the Lodge, junior Deacon in 1869 and Sentinel in 188.5 and 1886. Owing to failing health he demitted May 22 1888, and went to Riverside, Cal., but upon his return in 1891 lie rejoined tll~ Lodge. He was identified with the manufacturing boot and shoe industry of the town and in his later years conducted a retail shoe store in Lincoln Square. I fe died in Weymouth Oct. 14, 1917.
REUBEN TIRRELL was born in Weymouth 'May 2, 1845, the son of 1, poridge Cerry and Sophia Tirrell. Ile was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge Dec. E, 1867, and upon the founding of Delta lie became its first Junior Steward, serving in that capacity for four years, then as Tyler from 1S77 to 1882, inclusive, then as Sentinel front 1891 to 1895, and again from 1897 to 1999, inclusive. During all his life lie has been identified with the general store business in Lincoln Square founded by his father, and in Lodge matters both in office and out of office lie has set an example for interest in the affairs of the Lodge and attiandancu upori the meetings that all might follow with advantage and credit to tneinsclves. Ile is one of the two surviving charter members.
WILLIAM SPRAGUE WALLACE was born in Last Braintree Oct. 11, 1838, the son of William Vinson and Maria (Keen) Wallace. Ile was raised in Orphans I lope Lodge Dec. 27, 1865, and became the first Chaplain of Delta upon its institution and served in that capacity for two years. Then in succession he held the positions of junior Deacon 1870 and 1871, Senior Deacon 1872 and 1873, Senior Warden 1874, and Was elected tile fourth MaSLUr of the Lodge in 1875, being honored with a three years' term by the members of the Lodge. During his administration, the Lodge was exceedingly prosperous and reached a numerical strength of 109, which was destined to be high-water mark for twenty-5ix years or Until 1902. The officers of the ]edge by painstalang work and under the efficient leadership of the Xlaster achieved a perfection of ritual and work thot was the envy of neighboring Lodges and several tinici callecl for the Special commendation of the Grand Master and other officers of the Grand Lodge. I lis interest in the affairs of the Lodge bas never abated, and the Masonic Ritual is as clear and fresh in his mind as it was in the days when lie sat in the East. For many years be operated a boot-fitting shop which was an auxiliary to the boot manufacturing business, and in 1876 represented Weymouth in the lower house. He is the oldest Past Master of the Lodge and is the other of the two surviving charter members.RICHARD AMORY HUNT was born in Weymouth Sept. 2, 1818. lie was
raised in Orphans Hope Lodge March 14, 1860, and when Delta was founded became its first organist and served in that capacity for twenty years. He was a man of unusual musical ability, possessed an excellent voice, was a Performer or SeV 1-1
the organist of the Union Congregational Church. He represented Weymouth in the lower branch of the legislature in 1865 and for many years was a recognized leader of the Republican party in his district. In business he Was a prosporous boot manufacturer, and his shop became the gathering place for those of a similar political faith, with the result that it received the cognomen of "Tam. many flail" presumably because the slates there made up were never broken, Ile died in Weymouth July 23, 1898.
EBENEZER ATHERTON HUNT was born in Weymouth Jan. 2, 1826, the son of Atherton Nash Hunt and his wife Susannah Curtis (Hobart) Hunt, He was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge March 14, 1860, and was Junior Warden of the Lodge in 1867. In 1869 he was elected junior Warden of Delta, in 1871 he was Senior Warden and on December 12 of the same year he was installed as the third Master of the Lodge, a position which lie held for three successive years. Upon the founding of South Shore Comuriandery he was offered the position of Captain General, which lie declined with the statement that its a Conimarldery was send-military in character one of short stature halt no business to accept an office in it. lie was one of the boot manufacturers o( the town and like his uncle Richard was one of the political leaders of his district. He served his town in various capacities, including that of chief of the fire department, selectman for a 110JUber of terms and Representative in the lower house in 1873. In 1875 and 1876 lie served in the State Senate. lie was a member of the Union Congre' gitional Church, a trusLec of the Weymouth Savings flank front 1875 to 1881
and by his contemporaries was considered one of the solid and able men of the, tov,n. Ile passed away March 17, 1891.FRANcrs AmInER was born in Weymouth June 3, 1833, and was raised in
Lodge, lie wits active in town affairs. Ile was selectman in 1875 and 1876 and was town clerk from 1861 to 1878, inclusive, with the exception of 1869 and 1870. The two years that lie failed of election were those when the "Crispilis , - so C;dbil, were in flower. The older ones will remember the "Crispins" as being it bo,,t and shoo workers' Organization which was at that time very powerful politically and turned out every one who was in any way identified with tile old order of things. Ile was a druggist for many years in Washington Square and in latc, life conducted a hay and grain Ineiinc.,is oil Kaw Street. Ile (]led in Weymouth Dec. 8, 1998.
l"BENEZER WILLIAM HUNT Was born in kk'eyniolith Dec. 4, 1823, file soil of Mal. Elias and Eliza Mi. T. (Soper) Hurt. Ile wits raised in Old Colony Lodge Nov. 28, 1854, joined Orphans Hope in 1856, and become one of the charter menulber,,.of Delta in 1868. Ile was engaged in the wholesale beer and shoe bu,,mess in Boston for a number of years, then conducted an insurance business in Weymouth. On May 22, 1877, lie dernitted front the Lodge and removed to Orlando, Fla., where lie died Dec. 27, 1909.L - 'DVVIN 1'. WORSTER Was born in Weymouth Aug. 24, 1926, the son of Ezekiel
`1 he '' GOILI heard" was all zasociation of those who dealt in specie and to which hanlis and merchants went when in need of gold to meet domestic and forei
obligations. He Was vice-president of the Union National Bank of Weymouli: from 1881 to tile tillie of his death, which occurred on July 25, 1900.
TUO-NIAS BRASIOW PoRitR was born in Wrentham, Mass., April 22, 1810, and was raised in Orphans ]Tolle Lodge Oct. 31, 1800. Ile served the Lodge as trustee from 1869 to 1873, inclusive, and also in 1879 and 1880. For many years lie was in the lumber business in Weymouth under the firm name of Loud &
Porter, and the older members will remember him as a gentleman of the ?ld school who was unusually well informed on all the topics of the day. He died in Dorchester Sept. 11, 1895. ERAsTus NASH was born in Weymouth Dec. 16. 1827. tht, ~,t ~f T)--
rr many years he was engaged in the manufacture of boots under the firm name of S. W. & E. Nash, and erected one of the finest residences in the town. Ile was also vice-president of the Weymouth Agricultural Society, but took no active part in town or Lodge affairs. Ile ceased to be a member of the Lodge in 1895 and passed away in Weymouth Jan. 28, 1905.
MILTON HEYWOOD READ was born in Orono, Me., Oct. 1, 1822, the son of John and Mary Reed. lie was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge May 18 1864, and although he became one of the charter members of Delta lie nevec took any active part in the affairs of the Lodge nor of the town. He conducted a retail clothing store on Washington Square in Weymouth, demitted from the Lodge May 18, 1880, and died in Weymouth Aug. 10, 1899.
GEORGE WILLIAM WARREN was born in Hopkinton, Nlass., April 20 1840, and was raised it, Solomon's Lodge No. I of Charleston, S. C., on Sunda~ afterMina Feb. 10, 1867, under special dispensation front the Grand Lodge. I le served in the Civil War as a member of 1) Company, Third Biltialitin of Infantry, then in E Company, 51st Massachusetts Infantry, and finally as a member of tin, 6th Unattached Company of Massachusetts Infantry, of w hich company 11, was orderly sergeant. After the war he was a clerk in the employ of Milton 11. Read in Washington Square, Weymouth, then with Richards & Co., clothiers in Dock Square, Boston, slid later was connected with the Boston district of the Internal Revenue Department as inspector and gauger for thirty years lie deraiLted from the Lodge April 12, 1881, and passed away at the Soldiers' ~lome in Chelsea June 21, 1921.
JOHN METZLER WALSH was born in Halifax, N. S., July 19, 1822, the son of James and Alary (INTearler) Walsh, and While Still Young came to South Braintree, removing in 1852 to Weymouth. Ile was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge
Ime 15, 1857. He served Delta as Senior Steward from 1869 to 1871, as junior 1),acon in 1872 and 1873, Senior Deacon in 1874, Senior Warden front 1875 to 1877, and bactinie the fifth Master of the [.edge, serving from 1878 to 1880, His contemporaries speak of him as a mail of unusual geniality and as one to ,horn the professions and ideals of Freemasonry nicant something more than printed ritual. Ile was an excellent officer and, possessing coru,iderable dramatic ability, the work of the Lodge under his leadership was of a very high order, and a Standard for excellence wits set which has novel been exceeded. Ile was engaged in the carriage painting business and also conducted the leading lictruess business of the town for many years. Ile died in Weymouth Jan. 16, 1898.
FR.tNCIS FLINT FORSAITH was born in Deering, N. IL, May 8, 1824. Ile was a charter member of John Cutler Lodge of Abington in 1860, and demitted from that Lodge when Delta was founded as lie had removed to Weymouth in 1861. Ile was a deacon of the Union Congregational Church and in his chosen profession of physician lie endeared himself to a large circle of friends not only as a kind and sympathetic physician bit also as a true gentleman and a useful citizen. lie (tied in Weymouth, March 11, 1894.
GEORGE ADONIRAAI GUSTiN was born in Troy, Ale., June 24, 1840. He enlisted June 17, 1861, and served in the hand of the 9th AlissachilsetLS Infantry until Aug. 10, 1802, when all regimental hands were disbanded. Ile was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge Jan, 18, 1865, and upon the founding of Delim lie became its first Marshal, serving for the year 1868. Ile was engaged in the manufacture of boots in early life and later became a band musician again. He dinutted front the Lodge May 28, 1907, became a member of Humboldt Lodge No. 79 of E ureka, Cal., to which place lie removed and died June 11, 1922.
CHARLES STEWART WILLIAMS was born in Weymouth June 1, 1844, the soil of Henry and Caroline (Stewart) Wiflianis, lie vNras raised in Orphans I lope Lodge Oct. 4, 1865. In the Civil War lie was a member of Company A, 42d Massachusetts Infantry, and was captured at Galveston TeXas, together with the colonel and several companies of the regiment. After spending a year in rebel714 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
prisons he was paroled, and upon his return to Weymouth conducted a dry and fancy goods business in Washington Square, and open giving that up entered the brokerage business in Boston. He was much interested in town affairs and was selectman in 1877 and 1878. Ile clied in W eymouth July 24, 1891.
SOLON WALTER PRATT was born in Waterbury, Vt., March 27, 1828, the son of John Y. and Sarah Pratt. lie was initiated in Rural Lodge Aug. 2p 1855, and joined Orphan's Hope in 1857. He conducted a hardware business in Wash. ington Square under the firm name of S. W. & L. W. Pratt. He denuitted front the Lodge April 17, 1900, and died in Weymouth April 6, 1903.
CHARLT.'s GORHAM EASTERBROOK was born in Hingham Aug. 13, 1825, and was raised in Old Colony Lodge March 27, 1855. fie was the founder and publislier of the "Weymouth Gazette," a paper which for many years wielded a great influence in the South Share. His intimates of those clays refer to him as a true all(] faithful Mason, having always at heart the welfare of the fraternity and its an upright and loyal citizen who cured toore for the good of state thall for personal emolument. Ile conducted his business wid; sterling integrity and poss,.Issed social qualities to a high degree, promoting %vit i his genial disposition the pleasure of all. He died in Weymouth Sept. 3, 1893.
FRANcis ALLEN HOBART was born in Braintree Sept. 18, 1833, and was raised in Orphans Hope Lodge July 25, 1860. In early life he was a boot manufacturer, but liaving a natural taste for politics that occupation gradually absorbed his tline to the exclusion of all else, art(] under the sobriquet of - Citizen Hobart" lie was N%itliout doubt the most widely known mail that Norfolk County ],as produced since colonial times. lie represented Braintree in the lower house in 1860 and 1861 and was State Senator in 1865, 1869 and 1870. Ile denlitted from the Lodge May 26, 1885, and clied in Braintree Oct. 14, 1903.
AsA FRENCH was born in Braintree Oct. 21, 1829, was raised in Rural Lodge in 1860 and admitted to membership in that Lodge August 30 of the same year. lie was a distinguished lawyer of his time and was district attorney for Norfolk ~old Plylr0Uth Counties front 1870 to 1882. In 1882 fie was appointed by Presi. deat Arthur judge of the Court of Commissioners of Alabama Claims at Washingtonp D. C., cind served as such from 1882 to 1986, inclusive. He was a close friend of Brig.-Gen. Sylvanus Thayer, a native of Bictintree, who was ~-Innnl.n.dant of the United States Military Academy for sixteun years in d fa - mlimly known ns the "Father of West Point." Asa Fiench drew the I'll] of ;cner~ hayer by which lie left in trust the suni of $270,000 for higher edileational ~~o~,poses in the town of old Braintree and which resulted in the founda. tion of Thayer Academy. Ile also drew the will of Mrs. Scoah W. Glover by which in 1894 $194,000 more reverted to Thayer Academy. Thus lie was lar~ely instrumental in providing the towns of Braintree, Quincy, Holbrook and Ran . dolph, which were included in old Braintree, with an educational institution which for many years has maintained a high standard of excellence. fie represettled Braintree in the Great and General Court in 1866. Ile demitted fron, the Lodge Sept. lip 1883, when lie took up his residence in Washington, and died in Braintree June 23, 1903.
EDMOND SIEPHEN SovLE HUNT was born in Weymouth July 19, 1827, the third son of Maj. i~'lias and Eliza M. 1'. (Soper) Hour to subscribe his name c 5 a charter member of Delta Lo Ile was raised in Old Colony Lodge Fell. 23'
1855P joined Orphans I lope in 1856, and was a trustee of Delta in 1869, At on e' time he was a fart manufacturer, but his real life work was that of pyrotechnist, in which lie achieved great prominence and success and antassed a fortune. lie was the inventorof the Hunt Life-saving Gun, which he finally sold to the Joll H P. Lovefl Arms Company after failing to dispose of it to the United States or British governments. Besides being passionately fond of music, lie was a man of great originality and in later life wrote a book for private distribution, entitled "Weymouth Ways and Weymouth People," in which lie related his per-
sonal impressions of those he had known in Weymouth, calling a spade a spade and sparing neither relative, friend nor enemy to the great delight of those who were fortunate enough to be favored with a copy by the author. lie ceased to be a member of the Lodge in 1876 and died in Wevmoutli Ana. 21. 1909.
GEORGE WASHINGTON WHITE, Jr., the last sigi-ner of the lijition, was born in Weymouth Jan. 18, 1819, the son of Capt. George W. and Betsey (Burrell) White, He was raised in Orphan's Hope Lodge June 1, 1859, and was trustee of Delta in 1873 and 1874. He was deputy sheriff of Norfolk County for years without number and was one of the prominent figures of his time. In his later years he was postmaster of Weymouth for eight years. lie dernitted from the Lodge Feb. 4, 1890, and died in Weymouth March 8, 1899.
On Oct. 12, 1920, ten Master Masons, residents of South Wey. mouth, seeing the need and realizing the possibilities of a Masonic Lodge ill the south part of Weymouth, met at the home of Josiall B. Reed to diSCUss and arrange to present the matter to the officers and members of Orphan's Hope Lodge at East Weymouth. There were present at that meeting -
From those present a delegation was appointed to attend a meeting of Orphan's Hope Lodge held on Oct. 14, 1920, when a full consideration was given the project and it was the unanimous opinion of all present that it was an opportune time for the institution of another lodge in Weymouth, and the mother lodge gave every assurance of her hearty support and assistance.
A committee was chosen to secure the necessary dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, said committee being the following gentlemen:
The dispensation was granted and oil Nov. 23, 1920, the Lodge was instituted under the name of "Wessagusset" Lodge (a name well known in Weymouth history), with a charter members' list of seventy, to which there have been generous additions and a steady growth is predicted.
On Oct. 14, 1921, Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master, and the Officers of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts made an official visit to South Weymouth and Wessagusset Lodge was constituted and its officers installed in716 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
The regular meetings of Wessagusset Lodge are held on the second Tuesday of each month in the Odd Fellows Building, corner of Main and Pleasant Streets, South Weymouth.
Although Weymouth had had its own Chapter and Commandery since 1870, the Cryptic Degrees of Masonry were not established here until 1913, until which date it was necessary for Masons to journey to Abington to receive the degrees of Royal, Select, and Super Excellent Master. This was so inconvenient that when Temple Council was started there could be found in the entire South Sbore District only fifteen persons who had received these degrees and many of these had taken the degrees while living elsewhere.
The first definite step toward forming a Council in Weymouth was taken at a meeting of Pentalpha Chapter, held in Braintree on April 3, 1913, when several Council Masons present decided that the time was ripe for action, and accordingly called a meeti " 9 on April 8, 1913, at the residence of Col. (then lieutenant) Frederic Gilbert Bauer in South Weymouth, at which the following were present: Gardner R. P. Barker, Henry P. Tilden, John Taylor, Arthur W. Burr, Marshall P. Sprague and Frederic Gilbert BaUer. Those present unanimously decided to petition the Grand Council of Massachusetts to issue a dispensation for a Council to be held in Weymouth, an(] made the necessary arrangements to start the organization. The name Temple Council was selected not only for its Masonic significance, but also in allusion to the new Weymouth Masonic Temple, for which plans had just been completed.
The officers, elected and appointed, under the dispensation were as follows:
The petitioners for the dispensation in addition to the foregoing were Fred L. Bailey, Russell H. Whiting, Charles H. Ramsay and Oliver Cushing. Companions Gardner and Bailey were Past Masters of Abington Council.
The dispensation for the Council was issued May 28, 1913, and at the first meeting, held at Odd Fellows Hall, Fast Weymouth, jun~ 6, 1913, twenty-seven applications for the degrees were received. On March 5, 1914, the Council was duty constituted by Most Illustrious Edgar W. Evans and the Officers of the Grand Council of Massachusetts, Right Illustrious Miah G. Kenney, Past Deputy Grand Master, presenting the Council a handsome stand of the national colors on that occasion.
Temple Council held the first meeting of any kind in the new Masonic Temple on Nov. 28, 1913, and Companion Joseph Chase, Jr., who received the degree of Royal Master on that occasion, was the first candidate to receive a Masonic degree in the building.
Other notable occasions in the history of Temple Council have been as o ows:
On Feb. 18, 1915, at a military night, believed to be the first held by any Council in Massachusetts, Lieut. E. W. Raymond, Coast Artillery Corps, M. V. M., received the degree of Royal 'Vlaster, the chairs being occupied by prominent military men.
On June 21, 1915, the new ritual for the degree of Super Excellent Master, adopted by the General Grand Council of the United States, was worked for the first time in Massachusetts by Temple Council in the presence of Most Puissant John Albert Blake, General Grand Master of the General Grand Council of the United States, Most Illustrious William H. L. Odell, Grand Master of the Grand Council of Massachusetts, and officers and members of the Grand Council of Massitchusetts from various parts of the State. On Dec.. 6, 1915, Temple Council repeated the work of this new ritual at the annual meeting of the Grand Council of Massachusetts in Boston. On Dec. 6, t917, it collection of relics from the Verdun battlefields was exhibited. On Jan. 4, 1923, the degree of Super Excellent Master was exernplified by the Council in the presence of the Most Illustrious Dean K. Webster, Grand Master of the Grand Council of Massachusetts, and it distinguished suite.
Temple Council had six of its members iii the military service of the United States (luring the World War.718 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
The following persons have filled the office of Thrice Illustrious Master, serving, except where otherwise indicated, from October of the year named to October of the year following:
Two members of the Council have been honored with office in the Grand Council of Massachusetts, - Gardner R. P. Barker being Grand Principal Conductor of the Work for the year 1916, and Frederic Gilbert Bauer, Grand Conductor of the Council for the year 1923.
The Council of Royal and Select Masters occupies a unique position in Masonry in that its degrees are not a requisite for ad. mission into any higher body. The result is that Councils are usually comparatively small bodies composed of those Masons most deeply interested in the mysteries of the craft, and have a more intimate social character than is possible in larger bodies. Temple Council is no exception to this rule. In its ten years of existence it has grown steadily until it now (February, 1923) has 152 members, and a total of t60 have signed its by-laws since its organization. All its original members are living except Arthur W. Burr, who filled the office of Recorder from the organization of the Council till his death in 1922, and all its Past Masters are living except Cranston F. Godfrey, who died in February, 1923. Temple Council has grown steadily in prosperity, and its meetings are unusually well attended. In its ritualistic work and in the impressive manner and elaboration of detail with which it presents the degrees, it has attained an enviable position among the Councils of the State. Its relations with the parent Council at Abington have always been most cordial. On Dec. 17, 1914, a delegation from Abington Council visited Temple Council and presented it a silver and gold cup for use in the ceremonies. On June 21, 1920, for the only time in its history, Temple Council sent its entire class of candidates to Abington to participate in a special presentation of the Super Excellent Degree by the older Council. May the future of Temple Council fulfill the promise held out by its ten years of life.
Previous to 1870 Old Colony Commandery of Abington had Templar jurisdiction over Weymouth; therefore, when the South Shore Commandery wished to receive its Orders, it was given to
them from the Old Colony Comma ndery. In 1870 transportation was by horse and carriage or by barges, and, having such a distance to travel, a late Conclave returned the "Knights" home just about
Ilicielore, mider these conditions 4~ 1-~niglits agreed to petition the Grand Commandery of Massachusetts and Rhode Island for a Dispensation to form a Commandery in Weymouth. The Old Colony Lodge giving their approval, on June 22, 1870, a Dispensation was granted to open a Commandery of Knights Templars in Weymouth, to be known as South Shore Commandery, and the following Brothers formed the Lodge:
1870-71-72 1873-74-75 1876-77-78 1879-80-81
1882-83 1884-85 1886-87 1888-89 1890-91-92 1893-94-951896-97
The Triennial Conclave of the Crand Encampment which was held in Boston in 1895 stands for a red letter week for our Com~ mandery as well as one of the most successful Triennials in the history of the Grand Encampment. While the financial assistance was most generous, our guests were most appreciative. The days of outing were enjoyed and two Commanderies were entertained, Killington of Burlington, Vt., and 1,orest City of Cleveland, Ohio, The prosperity of South Shore Commandery is beyond question, and is a loved, honored and respected Lodge. May it be forever blessed with COutin1led prosperity and maintain its high station as one of the brightest stars in the galaxy of Knights Templars.
Mayflower Chapter, 0. E. S., was organized in Weymouth, Dec. 5, 1898, by thirty-four faithful men and women. The name Mayflower being suggested by Mr. Walter C. Gutterson, it was at once accepted as being especially fitting to a Chapter in this place. The ship Mayflower is also its seal.
Highland Cnapter of Somervdie exemplined the initiation and Mayflower Chapter No. 65 was duly instituted. After six months of hard and good work they received from the Grand Chapter their Charter in September, 1899. These loyal people met twice a month in Pythian Hall, and in January, 1900, had a membership of fifty.
The present Chapter looks back with pride to its founders, and those few charter members still with us must be justly proud of their achievement. Its teachings are an inspiration to all who bear them.
During the first ten years its growth showed a decided interest, the social life being emphasized by its members, teas, whist and musicales being prominent in its program. In this way a closer fraternal relationship was formed.
Ili 1907 the Chapter was honored by having P. M. Annie H Jordan appointed a Deputy. She asked P. 1M. Flora S. Matthewson of Keystone Chapter, and an honorary member of this Chapter, to be her Marshal, and a reception was given them in October, ON.
Until 1916 Pythian Hall was large enough for the meetings, but the membership increased and larger quarters were needed and it was decided to move to Masonic Temple, East Weymouth, and in November, 1916, the first meeting was held at that place. Since that time a rapid growth in numbers has been noticed.
In 1918, the year of the World War with all the "less" days, the Chapter held its own, and also was active through its members in all relief societies.
The year 1920 was a wonderful year for this Chapter. In January they occupied for the first time the beautiful Masonic apartments. The glory and inspiration this room gives one is beyond the power of tongue to tell. Every one feels it the moment they enter, and now, with the new organ, leaves nothing to be desired.
In 1920 also the Chapter again was honored by the Grand Cliapter, P. M. Elizabeth L. Peyton being appointed Deputy Grand Matron, and with her Marshal, Annie P. Beck, was tendered a reception in October, 1920. P. M. Helen J. Murray was also invited to be an Assistant Grand Warden~ and in 1922 P. M. Evelyn G. Brown was a Page at Grand Chapter Sessions. In 1922 Mary A. Lewis, who has been Chaplain since 1901, was inade a life member to the great joy of all. Later P. M. Nellie L. Denbroeder, a Charter Member and an officer since 1899, was also made a life member.
As is usual with all fraternal organizations, its growth after the war was phenomenal, and its membership is now 250.
Of the original membership only five are still with us, and we rejoice to say they show the same interest they did twenty-five years ago. The remaining five are Mr. Joseph E. Gardner, first722 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
The new Chapter received several gifts, including a Bible from the Past Matrons and Past Patrons of Mayflower Chapter, regalia and jewels from Hatherly Chapter of Rockland.
Crescent Lodge No. 82, 1. 0. 0. F., was instituted in East Weymouth Aug. 22, 1845. Their first meeting place being in the "Old Green Shop" on the corner of Broad and Middle Streets, Weymouth Center. There were six signatures to the charter, viz.: Warren 1~1. Barker, E. W. Coffin, John P. Lovell, James Hawes, Jr., Josiah E. Rice and Z. L. Bicknell, the latter being a.member for fifty-four years, until his death in 1899.
Meetings were held for three years in the "Old Green Shop," when in 1848, a new lodge room was dedicated, the Lodge now numbering about 90 members.
In 1865 new quarters were obtained over Bicknell's store and here, in 1870, was observed the twenty-fifth anniversary. Grand officers were present and witnessed the degree staff confer the initiatory degree on a large class of candidates.
In t871 Crescent Lodge took part at the laying of the corner stone of Odd Fellows Hall, Tremont Street, Boston, at which representatives from all over the State were present.
In 1875 when the Lodge at South Weymouth was instituted, Crescent Lodge gave withdrawal cards to nineteen members, who I . oined Wildey Lodge, thus giving the new Lodge a good healthy start. This left a membership in 1876 of 141 active members.
Twelve years later, in 1888, the question of better quarters and a larger building was considered, and in 1889 action was taken to build the present Odd Fellows Hall, on the corner of Commercial and Cottage Streets, and the corner stone was laid the same year and the building dedicated in 1890 to the use of all branches of the Order.
in 1895 the fiftieth anniversary of the Lodge was held here and was well attended by the Grand Lodge.
The Lodge has also passed its seventy-fifth anniversary, which was celebrated by the members in a most successful manner. Aug. 19 to 22, 1920, were the red-letter days of its history and an occasion always to be remembered. A committee of nine, with the first officers of the Lodge, made arrangements and the most coulplete details were carried out. There were present the representatives of the Grand Lodge, from the Encampment, from the Rebekah branch and from surrounding Lodges.
Alfred S. Pinkerton, Past Grand Sire, who was present, had the honor of attending the fiftieth anniversary twenty-five years before, as also had the following Past Grand Masters and Patri724 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
Each, with the full staff of officers, contributed to one of the brightest pages in the history of Crescent Lodge.
In the World War twenty-five members were called for service, two of whom gave their lives in the service.
Wildey Lodge of South Weymouth was instituted March 9 18715, with 18 charter members. Its growth has been steady an~ it stands second to none in sustaining the object of its organization. It has a fine building erected by its members, which with its fur. nishings has cost $15,000. This building contains a hall for tile rise of the Lodge, a recreation hall for the rise of the members and two banquet rooms.
The twenty-fifth anniversary was celebrated March 9, 1900, tile reception committee consisting of P. G. M. Louis A. Cook, P. G. George L. Wentworth, P. G. Gordon Willis, P. G. J. Burton Reed, P. G. Frank H. Richards, P. G. Francis F. Bullock and V. G. Katie I-T. Granger.
History, when the lapse of time makes the celebration of some important event worthy,of much interest, clings about the details connected with its origin as well as the more prominent occurrences of its subsequent history.
The following brief statement gives some account of the origin and later history of Wildey Lodge No. 21, 1. 0. 0. F., the only Lodge in the Commonwealth named after the founder of the. Order, Thomas Wildey.
The first recorded meeting looking toward the formation of air Odd Fellows' Lodge in South Weymouth was held at the resi. clence of J. Leonard Curtis, where the members of the Order, mostly belonging to Crescent Lodge of East Weymouth, gathered Oil the evening of Dec. 12, 1874. The meeting organized with Brother Wm. H. Sargent as chairman and Brother John H. Stetson as secretary. At this time the members voted to petition for a charter and to insert the name of "Wildey" in the petition as a proposed name. Other meetings were held on December 19 and 26, and at the latter an entire list of officers was elected.
The committee on petitions met the petitioners at Tuck's Hall, December 29, and to this committee their claims for a charter were presented. Jan. 2t, 1875, Brothers Wm, H. Sargent and D. F. Reed were appointed a committee to meet the committee oil petitions at the Grand Lodge office, Saturday, Jan. 9, 1875. At this meeting it was voted that the regular meetings should be held on 11,londay nights and that has always been the meeting night of this Lodge. On the evening of January 18 the by-laws were adopted
and on February I it was voted to lease Tuck's Hall for a term of six years.
On Tuesday afternoon, March 9, 1875, the Lodge was instituted, the following Grand Officers officiating:
On the evening of April 26, 1878, in connection with the celebration of tire anniversary of the Order, the Lodge was the recipient at the hands of the ladies of a beautiful silk banner, bearing the likeness of tile founder of the Order, the Three Links and Suitable inscription. This was a gala night in the history of the Lodge.
oil may 20, t878, the members enjoyed a notable occasion, the event being the official visitation by the Board of Grand Officers, John U. Perkins, G. M. In later years the Lodge has been honored by numerous visits of the Grand Officers.
During the spring and summer of 1880 a controversy arose between the Lodge and the lessee of the building then occupied for Lodge purposes as to whether the rent should be $100 or $200 per year. The parties being unable to agree, a committee was appointed to see what sum of money could be raised among the 13rothers for the purchase of land and the erection of a new hall. The outcome was the laying of the corner stone of a new building in Independence Square, Aug. 18, 1881, by G. M. Henry W. Clark and his suite. The building was duly completed and was occupied for the first time Feb. 6, 1882. The dedicatory exercises took place on February 16, at 4 o'clock, P.M, lasting through the evening,726 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
The Lodge has had the honor of supplying from its membership in 1893-94 the highest officer in the Grand Lodge in Massachusetts in the person of P. G. M. Louis A. Cook, also Mary C. Granger, w'o assumed a --- p~;tion of President in the Rebekah
Steadfast Degree Lodge No. 98, Daughters of Rebekah, 1. 0. 0. F., was instituted in Odd Fellows Hall, East Weymouth, April 14, 1891, by Henry Devine, Grand Master, assisted by Jay B. Crawford, Deputy Grand Master, James W. Price, Grand Warden, Chas. D. Cole, Grand Secretary, Julius L. Clark, Grand Treasurer, J. L. Martin, Deputy Grand Secretary, Austin I. Estes, D. D. G. M., Acting Grand Marshal, Walter W. Hersey, Acting Grand Guardian, Julia A. Burroughs, P. N. G., Acting Grand Chaplain.
Ten sister and twelve brother petitioners presented themselves and were duly obligated and constituted a Rebekah Lodge.
The first officers of the Lodge, who were installed by District Deputy Grand Master Walter W. Hersey, were as follows:
The Lodge meets in Odd Fellows Hall, East Weymouth, the first and third Monday evenings of each month. The present membership is 270.
The Lodge has had the honor of having one of its members serve as President of the Rebekah Assembly, Grace W. Mitchell holding the office during 1909-10.728 LODGES AND SOCIETIES
None of them are now living. For years from the time it was instituted until the day of his death, P. C.'P. Joseph A. Cushing had served almost continuously in office. The Encampment has prospered by a growth in membership from 14 members to a present membership of 167 reported for June 30, 1923. The present elective officers of the Encampment are -
The regular meetings are held at Odd Fellows Hall, East Wey. mouth, on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.
Mechanic Temple o Honor and Temperance No, 25 was organ. ized in East Weymou March 8, 1867, by men who felt that there was a need of an orga ization for the promotion of total abstinence, and the prohibition the liquor traffic. The growth was great, the first year many the business men and most of the manu-
~f th n of Of facturers joining, and its influence in town affairs was legion. The wives of the members organized a Women's Temperance Society and its success was so great that it became nationally known and women came from the West to size up its work and went bac~ pd reported to the women of Ohio, and that magnificent organization, the Women's Christian Temperance Society, was formed which to-day belts the world and gives us in America that for which Mechanics Temple was formed. Each member took the following pledge: We will not make, buy, sell or use as a beverage any spirituous or malt liquors, wine or cider, nor any other alcoholic beverages whether enumerated or not, but will use all honorable
means to prevent their manufacture or use, or the traffic therein; and this pledge, we will keep and maintain inviolate till the end of life. And among the number living to-day, June 20, 1923, whose naines are on the charter list, are Will2rd Duribar, Waldo Turner, Ezra B. Tirrell, Joseph P. Ford and many others who j . oined in the early seventies.
They met for a few years on the northeast corner of Jackson Square in a block which contained stores on the lower floors, where liquors stronger than water were sold by the owner of the old building, who always closed up his business in smoke. So after being burnt out they purchased the land on the opposite corner, formed a stock company, sold shares at $25 par and built Temple of Honor Hall, at that time one of the finest Lodge rooms in New England. it was dedicated with bands, torchlight parade and flag presentation by the ladies. This was a large silk American flag, and when constitutional prohibition became it law fif(y-two years afterward it was hoisted to the mast head, and shook itself to pieces rejoicing over the victory.
For many years the Temple met in this Hall each week, having its'Council meetings for working the advance degrees of the Order. Its Cadets of Honor, for the young men, many of whom to-day belong to the Masonic and Odd Fellows bodies, can look back to the early training they got in the Temple of Honor. Its influence was felt in all the surrounding towns, many men joining from them. As other organizations began to form in Weymouth and the churches formed Young peoples societies and took up the Temperance work, the Temple fell away from a membership of several hundred to about twenty-five, most of whom belonged in Hingham, and after the death of Leonard Thompson, who bad purchased the bonds and owned the building, the Temple closed up its affairs in East N~7eymouth in 19t2 and moved to Hingham, where it continues to do the work so well planned by the early builders. The Temple paid sick and death benefits, and has a permanent watch fund of which Mr. B. B. Sylvester is trustee. Several of its members are internationally known for the work they have accomplished for prohibition And surely it is the one organization of Weymouth that can crow over what it has done, - placed Weymouth on the map.
On Nov. 30, 1869, a few young men gathered in the shoe shop of the late John W. Hart for the purpose of forming a Lodge of Knights of Pythias and to apply for a charter for the same. Nelson NJ. Hubert was chosen chairman and Darius Smith, secretary, who, with Reuben Tirrell, James T. Pease, Augustus T. Cushing, Franklin A. Nash, Benjamin F. Robinson, P. Henry Linton, Christopher T. Bailey, Geo. P. Lyon, Charles A. Radcliffe, Augustus A. Linton, John W. Hunt, Elbridge T. Richards and Dominick A. Hart were