The following is a brief sketch of that part of Weymouth c4lled "Old Spain" as it was in the year 1791.
Commencing at the supposed location of the first settlement in the town, near Phillips' Creek, a few rods north of Smelting Cove, was an old house ' two stories in front and one in the back. Here lived the family of Lieut. Nicholas Phillips, He had two sons, William and John, and a daughter Judith, who married a Mr. Lara-
ba. His wife Mary (Greenleaf) died the year before. The house was taken away about fifty years since. A road or cartway c!ossed the creek at the Old Stough leading in an easterly direction to Stepping Stone bridge,
On the road leading from the Burying Ground northerly to the west side of Great Hill, now called North Street, on the east side, upon what was called Little Hilt, was another house of the same style, the dwelling of Mr. Daniel Torrey. It was demolished nearly fifty years ago, and the house later owned and occupied by Rev, Calvin Terry erected near the site of the old one.
Farther down, just after crossing Stepping Stone bridge, on the same side of the road was a one-story house, the dwelling of Mr. John Phillips. The h'~use was for several years the property of the late David Blanchard. On the other side, upon the rising ground ricarly opposite the present Neck Street, was the residence of Mr. Samuel Humphrey. His son Samuel married Hannah Colson, and they also were probably living there at that time. The old house was torn down several years ago. The next house on this street was the dwelling of Mr. Benjamin Torrey. His family consisted of himself, his wife Sarah (White), and their only son John, then about seven years of age. The house has been remodeled, and was owned and occupied by Mr. Elisha Pratt. Farther on down Great Hill lane, on the right, near the foot of the hill, was a small house, the dwelling of Mr. Jesse Dyer. He married Relief Damon. They had four children, - William, Calvin, Hannah and David. The house is not standing.
We now return to the street which runs from North Street north. westerly to the water. At one time this was called Fish Street; at present, Sea Street. The first house on the right was the dwelling of Mr. Joshua Torrey, Jr. He married Ruth Bates. About fortythree years ago the old house was taken away and the residence of Mr. Henry Newton erected upon the old site. After going down the
hill, a little farther on at the left was the house in which lived Mr. Benjamin Bicknell, his wife Temperance (Whitmarsh), and their two -on, P-Jamin nnd Tho as. This is Probably one of the oldest houses in town. It is now occupied by R. A. Stiles and Samuel Drew , Miss Susan Bicknell and her sister, Mrs. Newton. On the other side of the road, a little farther on, was the house in which lived Mrs. Deborah, widow of Capt. James Ford, and her family. Capt. James Harding, who married her daughter Mary, also lived there. The west part of this house was built in the years 1763 and 1764, by Mr. Nathaniel Ford, Mrs. Harding's grandfather. The east part was added by Captain Harding in 1792. The house is now occupied by some of his descendants. Near by, on the same side, was a small house, the dwelling of Miss Susan Dyer and her niece Susan, daughter of Solomon Dyer. The spot where the house stood is still called "Aunt Susie's (~arden." Still farther on, as we go over and di3wn the hill, on the same side, was the smAll house in which lived Mr. Ephraim Milton, later occupied by Mr. George Manuel. On the other side, nearer the water, was the old house owned and occupied by David Blanchard, Jr. He married Mary Humphrey, and had a family of several children. His son Edward lived in the old house many years, when, having built a new one, the old one was taken down. The last house on this street stood on the east side upon the rising ground overlooking the river. Tt was at that time the dwelling of Mr. Lemuel Torrey, who married Sarah I.ovell. They had two children, Jane and James. Several years ago the old house was taken down and a new one built by Mr, Redman, which has given place within the last year to a large hotel called the Baysi(le Inn. What is now Neck Street appears to have been, at some former period, the principal street. It used to be called Back Lane. It commenced near the old Humphrey house and wound along between the upland and meadow in a northerly direction. The houses were all on the west side. The first was the residence of Maj. James Humphrey, which stood near the 'present termination of Lincoln Street. Ile was one of the prominent Trien of the times. He married a Whitinarsh and had a family of several sons and daughters. The house was burned April 10, 1821. A little farther on was an old weaver's shop, sometimes used as a schoolroom, Which has long since disappeared. The next was the residence of Gen. Solomon Lovell and his son, Dr. James Lovell. A quarter of a mile below this, near the foot of Great Hill, was the dwelling of Mr. Phillips Torrey, who married Mary Bicknell. They hid several daughters. A few years after-wards this house was consumed by re.
We will now return and commence at Back Street, now called Green Street. The dwellings were all on the east side, the meadow and swamp being opposite. Here were four houses built by four brothers, sons of Mr. Samuel Pratt. The first was the dwelling of Mr, Jonathan Pratt. He married Sarah Dyer, and had a family of nine children. His house was a new one, built upon the site of the910 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
NORTH WEYMOUTH ABOUT 1800
13Y GILBERT NASH, ESQ., WRITTEN ABOUT 1885
Traveling easterly on Commercial Street (the old road from Boston to Plymouth, following the line of the bay shore), about three-quarters of a mile from the Landing, on the western slope of the hill, on the southerly side, stood the residence of Capt. " Ellet" Loud, the grandfather of F. E. Loud, Esq., and the grandson of Francis and Onner Loud, the progenitors of all who bear that name in the town. It was a large low structure, and familiar to most of the residents of the vicinity, having been torn down within a few years. Its successor, the dwelling of Mrs. Joseph Loud, a granddaughter direct, and by her husband as well, of Captain Ellet, was built not far from the date named atthe head of this article.
A few rods beyond, just where the land begins to slope towards the east, was the house of Mrs. Lurana (or the wid6w "Rana") White, a daughter of Capt. Ellet Loud, and the widow of Capt. Solonion White, where it yet remains, a sample of the old-time dwelling.
tTpon the opposite side of the highway stood the elegant mansion of Dea, Abiel White, erected in 1790, a large, two-story dwelling, which yet retains much of its original look, having submitted to but few changes during these one hundred and twenty-five years.
To the northeast of Deacon White's, a few rods away from the street, on all eminence that commands a fine view of the river and harbor, lived Mr. Elisha Bates, more familiarly known -,is "Old Prophet." Beyond, but a short distance, upon the same side of the highway, stands an old two-story dwelling, which was then the resi. dence of Mr. Lazarus A. Beal, the father of Mr. Lewis Beals, and grandfather of Elias S. Beals, Esq., while but a few steps to the eastward, in the lot upon the southerly corner of Mill Lane, was the house of Lieut. Yardly Lovell, blacksmith (the grandfather of Mr. Solomon Lovell), his shop standing near by. The house was demolished soon after the death of his widow, near ninety years ago. Upon the opposite corner of the lane Mr. Jared White had lately built a house (opposite the residence of his father, Col. Asa White).
In Mill Lane, about midway, upon its highest point, a beautiful location, with one of the finest views of land and water to be found anywhere, the elegant residence of Christopher Webb, Esq., was then in process of erection. The estate is now in good preservation, and is owned by Rev. William Hyde. At the end of the lane, on the border of Mill Cove, stood the old tide mill and the dwelling belonging to it, where they had stood from time immemorial, no one knowing their builder, It was probably joint stock property, the work of the principal settlers, and owned in common by them, as was the early custom. The mill, next to the church, being the most important building in the settlement, the roads led to it from all directions, while upon the opposite neck, over the hill, was the '. ferry" connecting with "Braintry." The property was early912 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
owned by Capt. James Nash, whose son James, in 1695, left it by will to his grandson, James Drake.
On Commercial Street, at the corner of Essex, and nearly fronting Mill Lane, was the residence of Col. Asa White. This estate was bought of Mr. Benjamin White, in 1727, by Capt. Adam Cushing. Captain Cushing owned it until his death in 1751, when it was sold and came into the possession of Colonel White, at whose decease, over sixty years ago, it was sold out of the family; and some ten or fifteen years later it was torn down to make room for the house now standing nearly upon its site. The old house was, for its day, a fine mansion, built after a fashion common in those days, two stories in front and one in the rear, the latter being upon the highway.
Passing through the hollow, still following easterly, in the sharp elbow of Commercial Street as it then ran, and a little way to the south, was the dwelling house of Dea. William Humphrey, which gave way, about 1802, to the present structure, A part of the old house was removed to the Jefts place in E'ssex Street, nearly opposite the old alinshouse. Farther on, a few rods, on the easterly side of the highway, very near the site of the vacant building belonging to the Humphrey place, and opposite the entrance to Church Street, was the "old Aaron Renouf " place, he who was sexton of the Old North Church for more than forty years.
The street then made a sharp bend to the east, then to the west, and again to the east, skirting the meadow something in the form of the letter S. The old gambrel-roofed house stood upon the western turn, on the north side, and was the property of Mr. Elisha Jones, and the dwelling, probably about that date or soon after, of Lemuel Humphrey, Esq., while upon the next easterly bend, on the other side of the highway, was the homestead of Mr. Jones.
From this, Commercial Street runs straight towards King Oak Hill, and when it reaches its base turns sharp to the right and ascends the southerly slope of the hill, making a slight turn to the left as it approaches the entrance to Middle Street. The only building between Mr. Jones and this point, upon the southerly side, was the old schoolhouse, standing not far from the dwelling of Win, E. Bicknell, Esq. Upon the northerly side of the highway the only house besides that already mentioned was the dwelling of James Humphrey, Esq., near the corner of Commercial and North Streets which passed into the hands of Capt. Hervey Cushing, the husband of Lydia, daughter of the owner just named. The house was torn down some thirty years since, and a new one built upon the same spot. The old house, before coming into the possession of Mr. Samuel Humphrey, over a hundred years ago, was the hornestead of Dea. Thomas Dyer, one of the original settlers (probably built by him), and his descendants for four generations.
Returning to Commercial Street, the first house on the northerly side going east from Essex Street, was a part of the ancient Burrell patrimony, and stood upon the corner of Commercial and Church Streets. It was bought about the beginning of the present century
by Mr. Jo~n Copeland. At that date there was a shoemaker's shop belonging to it, which stood very near the road. Passing along Church Street, there was no building until the meeting-house was reached, which stood upon the sife of thp present edifice, built about ninety years ago, the old one, then about eighty years old, having been taken down to make room for it. The older building, destroyed by fire about 1751, was built about 1680, and probably was located somewhat to the eastward of the present position, perhaps not far from the town pump.
just below the corner of Church Street, upon North Street, lived Hon. Cotton Tufts, physician and storekeeper (his store being a little to the south of his house and about where the butment of the South Shore Railroad rests). For more than a half century lie was one, of the most important men of the towri, stepping almost immediately into the prominent positions held by Capt. Adam Cushing at the time of his death. He was selectman, representative (sometimes senator), or other influential officer from the middle of the eighteenth century until well into the present. No responsible coremittee was complete without him; and (luring the eventful period of the Revolution few men of local reputation played so important a part in public affairs. The house was probably one of the old dwellings belonging to the Whitman family, whose original homestead was in the immediate vicinity, if not upon this identical spot. On the knoll to the northwest, and on its western slope, was another of the Whitman houses, reached from East Street by a way leading from the then western entrance to the Burying Ground, and was occupied by Capt. Ambrose Salisbury, who married a daughter of the family. The building disappeared about ninety years ago, and its last occupant was Mr. David Pierce.The original allotments of land covering the tract previously
East Street now alone remains to be accounted for. Leaving North Street at the foot of Burying Hill on the south, and passing towards the east, the first house upon the left and almost directly under the hill was the old parsonage, since replaced by the present dwelling, and still the "parsonage." It was then the residence of Rev. Jacob Norton, and the old barn, which still remains, stood then as now a little to the west, and at nearly right angles with the house. For one hundred and forty-five years the parsonage, old and new, had but six occupants, - Rev. William Smith, Rev. 914 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
Jacob Norton, Rev. Josiah Bent, Rev. John C. Phillips, Rev. Joshua Emery, Jr., and Rev. Frank P. Chapin. Here was the home of Mary, the wife of judge Cranch, Abigail, wife of President John Adams, and Elizabeth, wife of, Rev. William Shaw, the latter, although not so widely known as his brothers-in-law, yet of no mean reputation, and well known as the founder of the "Boston Athena2um." Here, too, upon authority which will hardly be questioned, was born John Quincy Adams. [Note. -The writer had from his father, Capt. Timothy Nash, the following: While Mr. J. Q. Adams was minister at the Court of St. James, he had occasion to call upon him in a matter of business; and, being neighbors from adjoining towns, the conversation naturally turned upon social affairs, in the course of which Mr. Adams made this remark: " I suppose I was born in Weymouth, my mother being at the time on a visit to her father."]
The next house upon the left, upon the northwesterly corner of Green Street, was the old Badlam homestead, then owned by Dr. Cotton Tufts and occupied by Mr. Bela Cushing. The old house was demolished years ago and a new one erected. On the breaking up of the Tufts estate, after the decease of Miss Susan Tufts, the last surviving member of the family, that property came into tile possession of Mr. Charles Humphrey by purchase. Upon the southeasterly corner of the same streets stood a dwelling which was then or soon afterwards the residence of Capt. Stephen Bicknell.
Continuing on towards East Weymouth, an eighth of a mile or niore, there appeared another of the Whitman dwellings, an old. fashioned two-story front and one in the rear, then owned by Capt. James Jones, but rented. It stood nearly opposite the residence of ihe late Mr. Quincy Pratt, but was torn (town many years since and a new one erected in its stead. Farther on, and near tile tell of the hill, upon the same side of the road, was a small one-story house, built and occupied by Captain Jones. A two-story addition has since been made to it.
Over the hill and directly opposite the lane leading to Commercial Street was the dwelling of Mr. Sylvanus Loud, hatter, whose shot) stood upon the northwest corner of the lane and street mentioned. The shop was afterwards removed by his son John to East Street, to the eastward of his father's, remodeled into a dwelling house, and occupied by hiln until his death. It is quite noticeable as a quaint expression of gambret-roofed cottage. The old house is still standing. Beyond this, and still upon the north side of the highway, was the residence of Mr. Asa Dyer. In the hollow beyond was an old house occupied by Mr. Stockbridge. The roof was blown off in the hurricaneand the houseafterwards removed to PleasantStreet.
Upon the south of the road, and returning towards the west, nearly opposite the residence of Mr. Asa Dyer, was the homestead of Mr. Abner Pratt, while the only house that remains to be noticed was that of Mr. Joshua Pratt, but a short distance to the west of that last mentioned, and near the corner of the lane leading to Commercial Street.
REMINISCENCES OF EAST WEYMOUTH
By DFA. ALVAii RAYMOND
My first acquaintance in the town of Weymouth was in the year 1818. In giving you this sketch I will govern myself according to my best recollection of things as they were at that date.
East Weymouth was then known as Back River. I hardly know how to define the limits of Back River except by the limits of the Third School District.What is now called Pleasant Strect.was then known as Sheep
I will commence at the house of James Humphrey on Sheep Street, about one-third of a mile below Lovell's Corner on the left, which was the first house in the district. His wife was a sister of Dea. John Bates of North Weymouth. The house is now standing and is occupied.
The next dwelling on the same side of the street was owned and occupied by Bela Vining. There was also a small shop near the road in which he carried on the shoe business. His children conisted of one son and two daughters. The place is now known as "Red Rock Farm."
The house on their right, nearly opposite the latter, was that of Cotton Bates. His first wife was a Johnson, by whom he had two sons and two daughters. His second wife was named Hawes; by her he had no children. Mrs. Mathewson now lives here.
The next house on the right, near the latter, was that of Cotton Bates' father, named Thaddeus.
The next house was on the left, and was owned and occupied by Capt. Robert Bates. lie was three times married. His first wife was a Bicknell ' by whom lie had one son and two daughters. His second wife was a Waterman, by whom he had three sons and two daughters. His third wife was the widow of Samuel Pratt; by her he had no children, but she had two sons and one daughter by her first husband. This place was formerly known as the Waterman
place. It was tile property of Dea. Josiall Waterman. Ile owned all the land both sides of the road from Whitman's Pond oil the west to Hinghani line oil tile east. He carried on a large farm; most of the land now grown over with wood was then cultivated.
He was deacon of the First Church in Weymouth for over forty years. He was married to Elizabeth Marsh in 1712; she died in the year 1768, aged eighty-two years; he in 1773, aged eighty-six. years. Their remains were interred in the cemetery at North Weymouth. They had no children. Josiah Waterman the younger was a nephew, and ' hearing his name, was adopted by him. A young, female named Thankful Humphrey became a member of the family, and finally married Josiah the younger and they became916 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
heirs to the whole estate. They had a family of four sons and three daughters. One of the daughters was the second wife of Ca
Robert Bates before mentioned, and the home place finally became his property. Notwithstanding there were four sons of the nar~e of Waterman, the name has become almost extinct; wholly so in Weymouth. I know of but three of their descendants bearing it and they reside in Boston. Daniel Cronin now occupies this place,
The next house below on the right was a two-story house occu.~ pied by Widow David Waterman. She had two sons and four daughters. The house is now occupied by Louis W. Keay.
A short distance below the above, on the left, was the Waterman Cemetery. It was set off for this purpose by Josiah the younger and belongs to his heirs. He had a tomb built there a short time before his death in 1795. Several others have since been built.' The lot is not much used of late, the large cemetery on the east beingenerally used.
Going down the hill, the next house is on a knoll on the left. This was occupied by Jesse Bates, Jr. His first wife was'a Wilder from Hingham. His second wife was a daughter of Capt. Robert Bates; by them he had two sons each, who are all supposed to be living. The house is now standing, and is occupied by Mrs. Fogarty.
The next was a small house on the left occupied by Azariah. Beals, a widower with his sister Hannah, a maiden lady.house is now occupied by Lloyd Raymond.
The next house on the left was owned by James Bates, a son of Thaddeus. He married a Johnson and had one son and one daugh. ter. The house was destroyed by fire, but another has been built on the spot.
The next house on the left was occupied by Miss Eunice Bates. She had one daughter whom they used to call Miss Celia. The house has been enlarged by Mr. Tucker, clerk of the Weymouth', Iron Company, and occupied by Daniel Riley.
Still keeping on Sheep Street we cross the river, and the house on the right was occupied by Jesse Bates, Jr., called the miller. He carried on a grist milt. People then, as a general thing, raised their grain and carried it on horseback to be ground. This place is now owned by the Iron Company, and is called the center works. The Bates family had three sons and six daughters.
A small long house once stood on the left hand nearly opposite the latter, and was called the Widow Turner's. She had one son and one daughter. The place was bought by the late Urban Rice, torn down, and the house now standing was built and is now owned by Daniel Reidy.
Said Urban had three sons and two daughters. Two sons and a daughter are living. His wife was a sister of the late Rev. Stephen Lovell.
The next building on the left and near the Turner house was the Fulling inill, which has been taken away. This is where the), formerly caught the alewives.
first Methodist meeting in East Weymouth was held in this house. As we go up the hill, on the left was the house of Oliver Bates,
~ We now pass the site of the white church, which had not been built at this time. . The next dwelling is that of the late Lovell Bipknell. It was
occupied by Starkes Whitton, who kept a grocery store in the building now used as a meat and provision market. The house is now occupied by the widow of Mr. Bicknell's son Robert.
We are now in what is called Jackson Square. On the south side, where the office of the Weymouth Light and Power Company now stands, is the spot where stood the only schoolhouse in the district, small and rudely 6nished and would hardly answer for t jese times.Here ends Sheep Street.
We now pass from said square into Commercial Street, going northerly. The first house was that of Samuel Dyer. He had four daughters. The house was removed and a new one built on the same spot by Joseph Stevens.
About the middle of the big building was a large upright engine of one hundred and fifty or more horsepower. This engine was a thing of.beauty as well as of power, handsomely painted, its brass work polished to the !I-init, enuclosed in a big room as fine as was ~he engine. The contrast between the inside and outside of the engine room was extreme, to put it mildly. In the early years a little Englishman by the name of Curt was engineer. He had three boys, Sain, Tom and Eddie. They were English all right, regular Cock. neys, and the way they left out and added "h's" was amusing to the rest of its boys. Sam, the oldest, was a quiet, serious fellow of twelve, and seemed to us boys to be able to run the engine about as well as his father. Eddie, the youngest - "Eddie Two Thumbs," we called him - was the proud and envied possessor of two thumbs on one hand, side by side, and not much larger together than the other. Later, Charley Bowen, eldest son of B. W. Bowen, the superintendent, had charge of the engine until the finish,
Along the front of the mill, facing the yard, were the furnaces, and between them and the nail machines was the trip harnmer, squeezers and shears. On the other side of the yard were big piles of iron ore, pig iron, coal, mostly soft, and flint or quartz. And ''that reminds me" of a way the boys of sixty years ago had of earning a dollar, unknown to the boys of to-day and to most men also. We used to go to the different gravel banks and gather flint, varying in size from that of a baseball to a football, cart it home in a wheelbarrow, for which the Company would pay a dollar a ton delivered to their yard. Unless one had a relative or friend owning a horse and cart one-half would go to the carter. Those dollars were certainly earned. If a boy wheeled home fifty pounds at each trip itwould have taken fortytrips to haveaccumulated. aton,which, if carted free, would give him 2V2 cents a trip. How the present generation of boys would fall over each other hunting for flint! Whether the supply did not equal the demand or not is uncertain but a few years later they stopped buying our flint, and bought' quartz by the carload. It is always so - if one has a "snap" it is short-lived. Probably the flint or quartz aided in freeing the iron of its impurities.
Our earliest recollections of the officials were Increase ("Old Man") Robinson, president; Warren W. Barker, treasurer; John Washburn, superintendent; Robert McIntosh, clerk. Some years later John Washburn was succeeded by Benjamin W. Bowen, and still later David Tucker followed Warren Barker. Robert McIntosh was with them to the end, and at the time of his death two years ago was the last of the old office force.
It was interesting to see the various processes involved in the manufacture of the nails; the furnaces, whose fires were seldom raised to a white heat, and charged with iron ore, pig iron, and "scrap." Ask "Mick" Fogarty and "Nachie" Lonergan about the scrap iron. They were " pilers " in their young clays, piling tit e pieces of scrap on boards ready for the furnaces. Then the " pud-
dlers" and their helpers, - big brawny men stripped to the waist, -stood in front of the roaring furnaces, and, through holes in the thick iron door, with long bars, " puddled " or mixed the melted iron unfil ;t fnr e n "heat," -a white-hot mass free from its
I . it .-.m-d - dross. Then the furnace door was opened and a man with a big pair of tongs running on a pulley overhead thrust it into the furnace and pulled out the heat and rushed it, dripping a rain of sparks, to the squeezers, and from that to the big trip hammer; then to the different rolls, where it was flattened into lengths of eight or ten feet, some fifteen or eighteen inches wide, of various thicknesses, according to the size of the nails into which it was to be cut.
Then it went to the shears, where it was cut crosswise into strips as wide as the nails were th be long. At times a small low-wrought iron cart eight or ten inches deep was backed up to the furnace to be filled with the dross, or "slag," which poured from an opening "it the bottom of the furnace. This ''slag," when cold, would be broken and dumped as filling in vacant lots. Ther~ must be thousands of ~ons beneath the surface of the lot near Jackson Square, near the billboards, Water Street, and Commercial, from the herring house to Wharf Street, known as "The Black Road," kept in repair by the Company with slag and ashes, Excepting the nail Jepartments, the mill started work at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning. uMen the whole village was lighted with the columns of flame streaming from the high smokestacks. Their day ended soon after noon.
The puddlers were the best paid hands employed, except, perhaps, some of the boss nailers, some of whom controlled a number of machines, hiring "second hands" to "turn plate" for the extra machines, the "boss" grinding the knives and otherwise caring for them. Both boss and second hands were paid so much per hundred. To turn plate the operator sat on a high stoat in front of the machine, handling a rod about five feet long, its near end supported by a hook in which it turned, and the plate held in nippers on the f ont end. After learning to time each motion with the movements
r of the machine he pushed the plate squarely against the bed knife .and turned it in time for the next movement so that the head of the Second nail was cut from the other side of the plate, cutting perhaps a hundred a minute. Some boys turned plate through the vacation. Not many, however. Sitting all day in summer on a high stool did not appeal to many boys then, and would to even fewer now. And who can blame them? Boys and girls need play as well as food. A combination of work and play is ideal and practical, too. A boy of to-day can get fun and profit from pig and poultry clubs, and farm and garden.
To some "grown-tips" (a fortunate few), work is a pleasure. This applies to authors, artists, inventors, also to evangelists and missionaries. Happy are they, and "may their tribe increase." But this is supposed to be ancient history and not a modern essay. So we will "take up the thread of our discourse," as the old-fash918 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
The next dwelling was on the left, occupied by Lovell Bicknell, He married a daughter of Asa Dyer and had three sons and one dauQhter. The sons are now livinv. The house is standing and occupied by ' Benjamin Sylvester.
The next was a two-story house occupied by Capt. Benjamin Dyer. He had two daughters. The house was formerly owned by Joshua Bates the elder and occupied by him. He was father to Joshua, the London banker. The place is now occupied by the Catholic priest.
The next house was occupied by Lewis Pratt. He had no chi]. dren. The house was afterwards owned by the late Samuel Healey.
The next dwelling on the left was the home place ' of Peter Whit. marsh. He had six sons and five daughters. Four sons and three daughters are living. The house is now the property of the Cath. olic Church.
The house opposite the last was occupied by the late Benjamin Burrell and John L. Pratt, and is now standing, and owned by John F. Daley.
At the foot of the hill stood the blacksmith's shop, and that business was carried on by Elijah Faxon, who moved to Braintree' and died in that town.
Mr. Samuel Healey continued the blacksmithing business at~ this place.
This locality was called Brandy Hill, though what gave it name I never knew.The next on the right was the home place of Capt. James
He was the husband of two wives and had two sons and four daugh. ters. The house is now owned and occupied by Mrs. W. H. Cushing'
A little distance on the left was the house of Jonathan Porter., He had four daughters. The house is not standing. The next was the house of Thomas Porter. He had three sons and one daughter.
The next dwelling on the left was occupied by Bela Cushing. He brought up a large family. This was the home place of Joshua Bates the elder. He spent the last of his days here. His tomb in which his remains now repose, is on a hill near by. His son, ~he late Joshua Bates, was born in this house, also the well-known Mary Weston Chapman of Weymouth. The house is now occupied by Jrancis Cowing.
The next house was on the right and was occupied by the late Peter Lincoln. He had three sons and one daughter. The house was after~vard occupied by the family of the late Jairus Lincoln This is the last house in the Third District going north on Corn: tnerciaf Street.
The house on East Street near the crossing of the South Shore Railroad was owned by Miss Nabby Dyer and occupied by her and by Benjamin Bates and family. Miss Dyer was sister of John Dyer, Sr., of South Weymouth. Mr. Bates was the son of Alpheus
In going from the front of Mr. Healey's blacksmith shop toward the wharf there was a house on the right, owned by Jacob Dyer, then an azed man. He had eight children. The house is not standing.
Arriving at the wharf on the west side of the river was the house of Sylvanus Holbrook the elder. He had six sons and two daughters. One son only remains. The house was burned, but two others have been built near the spot.
On the cast side of the river was a small dwelling occupied by Solomon Dyer. He had two sons and four daughters.We now return to Jackson Square, and going down the hill on
the left was situated the home place of Josiah Rice. Ile was called the Innholder. This was a place of much note as a tavern when Commercial Street was the regular place of travel from Plymouth to Boston, before Queen Ann Turnpike was built in 1806. Mr. Rice had one son and five daughters. The house is now occupied by Willard Dunbar.
A short distance below the old tavern was a building standing near the spot where Mr. Peakes' building now stands. It was called the potash building, but that business wag not done there at that date.The dwelling house on the right going down the hill toward the
bridge was occupied by Humphrey Burrell. He had one son and two daughters. The house is now owned by Mrs. Otis Randall *
The house below the above, very near the river, still remains The place where they now take the alewives or herring is opposite this house,
We pass over the bridge, and directly on the right was the house of Stephen French. He had four sons. Mr. French before his death sold the house and built a new one in its stead, later occupied by his son Beta.
We now pass into what is called Commercial Square, and, keep. ing on Commercial Street, the first house was on the left, owned by Jacob Lovell. He had four sons and five daughters. The house has been taken away and the one now standing was known as the Eagle hotel.
The next house was on the right and owned by James Bicknell, a brother of Lovell. He had three sons and one daughter. The house is occupied by L. E. Schofield.The next house was near the latter and owned by Widow Ford.
As we pass on toward Hingham, the next house was on the left and occupied by Abiah Pratt. He had two sons and three daughters. The house is now Mrs. Anna Stowell's.
The next house was on the same side, occupied by Stephen French, Sr. Now occupied by Mrs. Milton Carter.
The next house, which is the first after crossing the railroad, was the house of Ebenezer Totman. He had three sons and one daugh. ter. The mother lived to a very old age, The estate is now owned by I~ ' Imer E. Leonard. This was the last house in Weymouth on Commercial Street.
We now start from Commercial Square again, and going up High Street, the first house was that of Capt. Joseph Pratt. He was captain of the militia company in the North Parish at that time. He had a family of sixteen children, three dying in infancy. This house is now owned by Binney Totman.
The next house on the right was owned by Thomas Cushing and occupied by the late Capt. James Hawes, who had five sons and two daughters. Two sons and one (laughter are living. The hm;Se is not Standing, but another has been built on the same spot )y Nathan Goodspeed.
The next house on High Street was that of Asa Nash, situated on the left. He had one daughter, the widow of the late William Berry.
Near the latter was the house of Joseph Burrell. He had two sons and two daughters. The house is now occupied by Augustus Reed. This is the last house before we reach the Hingham line.
According to the foregoing, I make the number of dwelling houses in the Third District to be, in the year 1818, forty-five.Instead of the one small schoolhouse we have now seven (count
ing the one at Middle Street), containing thirteen schools, (This referred to the year 1880.)
Following westerly on Commercial Street from Mr. Jairus Lincoln's, the first house on the right was that of Mr. Bela Vining. This was the Lovell mansion, and was removed from its old site near the two horse chestnut trees, now standing in front of Miss Selina Wildes' house, about the time the latter was built by her father, Capt. William Wildes, who married Mary, daughter of Gen. Solomon Lovell. The building is yet standing, two stories in front and one in the rear, near the corner of Union Avenue.
On the westerly corner of the latter street and Commercial, partly upon the street, partly upon the Lovell land, Mr. Silvanus Loud received permission to "set 'up a hatter's shop upon the ground where Capt. Jacob Goold formerly had a hatter's shop: said Loud is not allowed to sell the land at any future time, if fie should sell the shop." This was on the "corher of Mr. David Lovell's Lane." This was afterward removed to East Street, where it was altered into a dwelling. The present ganibrel-roofed house there, first beyond this, still on the right, and near the street, was the old Lovell homestead, occupied by Mr. David Lovell, and was probably built by Capt. Enoch Lovell early in the eighteenth century. It has since been torn down, and the present dwelling erected on the knoll in the rear.
Beyond this, on the eastern slope of King Oak Hill, wits built the fine mansion of Capt. William Wildes, which is still standing, an excellent specimen of the better class of residences of a century ago.
Turning up Middle Street, the first house standing upon the right near Commercial Street was the dwelling of Dea. Eltiathan Bates, now occupied by Mrs. Gilbert Hunt, a large square house of two stories.
Above this, a little distance upon the knoll on the right, was the hortie of "Master" Samuel Read, the noted schoolmaster of that (lay, and was afterward owned by the late Silvarms Bates. It still stands upon the same spot. On the east side of the street, and a little on to the south, lived Mr. Asa Bates, in the dwelling now Occupied by Mr. Joshua Vinal. Going southerly and on the west side of the street, nearly opposite the residence of the late Daniel I)yer, was the dwelling of Mr. Urban Bates.
cross the street, lived Mr. Levi Tirrell, and on the westerly side, just below the present crossing of Broad Street, was the residence of Ensign Noah Tirrell. Above this, upon the same side of the highway, was the house of his son Noah, who kept a store in the end of his dwelling. This is now the site of the Davis B. Clapp Memorial.
assing on to the south, in the hollow, just below Mr. John Carroll's boot factory, was an old house belonging to the General I,ovell property, and occupied by Mr. Joshuit Holbrook, a native922 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
of Braintree. Above this, on the east side of the street, lived Mr,.' Alpheus Bates (El. Bates, as commonly known), the zrandfather oil Mr. F. B. Bates, arid a short distance above the latter's residence.
On the right, near the residence of the late Norton Tirrell, was the house of Mr. Benjamin Pratt; and above, a short distance, lived Mr. Sam. Pratt, the father of at least sixteen children, one of whom, the late Mr. David Pratt, built a dwelling near his father.
Above this, on the southerly corner of Barberry Lane (now Essex Street), was the old homestead of Mr. Josiah Humphrey, which is now occupied. Above this, still on the right, was the dwelling and tan yard of Mr. Thomas Webb, later occupied by his grandson, Mr. Thomas Humphrey.
Following on to the south, on the right, just above the Catholic Cemetery, and upon the spot now occupied by the house of the late John Tirrell, was the first "Poor House" built by the town of Weymouth, erected in 1779. Above this, at the "Mill," near the town house, was the old Tirrell Mill and residence, the home of many generations of Tirrells, and occupied at the opening of the century by John Tirrell, Esq., who was town treasurer for more than twenty years.
Returning, and passing down Barberry Lane, the first house was about a quarter of a mile from Middle Street, on the right, and was the residence of William and Abner Porter, an old "two story in, front and one in the rear" house, since torn down and a new one erected, lately known as the "Giles" farm, while on the left, just round the bend, was the dwelling of Mr. Asa French. A little below, where Broad Street now crosses, was the house of Mr. Lem. lie] French, then occupied by Joshua Binney.
Below this, still on the left, on the site of the alrrishouse, was an old house, it part of the Major Humphrey estate, and occupied 1) y Mr. Laban Pratt.
over the hill, and near its foot, was the house of Mr. Asa Burrell, a little helow that afterwards built by his son Warren, while still farther on, and also on the left, was the residence of Mr. Joseph Humphrey; and on the corner of Commercial Street stood tile ruan~ion of Col. Asa White, formerly the property of Capt. Adani CLIShillg, and built by Benjamin White. This wits torn down man), years since, and the present dwelling, the property of Mr. Hodgdell, erected.
Oil the opposite side of Commercial Street was the house of Vlr. Jared White, while at tile water side, at the end of Mill Lane, was the old Tide Mill and dwelling, owned by Mr. Samuel Webb. The dwelling is probably one of the oldest in the town, and is the prop. erty of Henry A. Nash, a descendant of James Nash, who probably built it eight generations ago. The mill was taken away a few years ago.
Following Commercial Street to the west, the first house on the right, and iear the corner of Mill Lane, was that of Lieut. Yardly Lovell, blacksmith, and was torn clown about fifty years since.
Above, a few rods, on the same side of the street, was the residence of Mr. Lazarus A. Beals, the grandfather of Ellas S. Beals, Esq.
Still upon the right, a few steps, and a little back from the street, on the height of land, lived Mr. Elishic Bates (known as "Old Prophet"). Above this, upon the right, Dea. Abiet White built his dwelling, which is now occupied by Mrs. Mary White, the widow of his son Enos; while on the opposite side of the street lived Widow Susanna White, a daughter of Capt. Eliot Loud, whose own house was a few rods beyond on the brow of a hill just west of the residence of the late Joseph Loud, Esq., a one-story, old-fashioned house, torn down a few years ago,
In the year 1818 there were but two places for public worship fit Weymouth: one at North Weymouth, Rev. Jacob Norton, pastor, and one at South Weymouth, Rev. Mr. Williams, pastor, and a part of a congregation from Weymouth worshiped in a church in Braintree.
The third house of worship was built by the Methodists in East Weymouth in the year 1828. Itwasasmall house, only28 by44 feet on the ground, near where the police statiorl now stands. It was found in a few years to be too small, and was enlarged by opem . ng the house and putting two rows of pews in the center. The first minister stationed there was Rev. Samuel Norris. In the year 1843 there was formed in East Weymouth a second religious society, called the Evangelical Methodist Society. The new society purchased the house of the former. They never used it as a place of worship, but had it taken down and erected a new one on the same spot. In the year 1860 this church and society was formed into a new church and society, called the Congregational Church and Society, and settled Rev. James P. Lane as pastor. In 1866 the house was enlarged and Rev. 1). W. Waldron settled as pastor, In t be m nt . e the Methodists had erected a church on the east side oietahe'rrniver, which was in a few years destroyed by fire. They then erected another house on the same spot, which was also burned to the ground. A third house was finally built on Broad Street.
The Weymouth Iron Works were built in 1837, and after being enlarged were burned in the year 1869, after which tile I)LAildilIg which now standh wits erected, which is built Of ilon and likely to stand the fire outside and in.
Things are not now as they used to be; people then lived oil a cheaper scale. Meat wagons and bread carts were not seen in our streets; and the article of flour was very little used. Brown bread was the staple article for our tables. The bread trough and brick oven were indispensable in every family. A hog to kill in the fall of the year, as also the whole or a part of a beef creature to salt down, was expected to last till killing time came again, which would be the next fall.
At that day, 1790, the only roads connecting the various parts of the village, not then capable of such a designation, were Commercial Street, from Braintree, through North and E-ast Weymouth to Hingham (the old Plymouth road following the bay Shore), and the old Abington road, now Front Street; both of them located nearly as now, very few important changes having been made in them, intersected by Hunt's Lane, leading from Deacon Hunt's, oil Iront Street, to the homestead of Josiah Holbrook, at the end of what is now known as Torrey's I,ane, and Back Street, flow Summer, leading then as now, with trifling variation, only it was, then a lane, with a fence across the southern end. Perhaps, however, the present Winter Street might be included, leading from Front Street, near the residence of Mr. Samuel Bates, father of (Ur Venerable fellow citizen, Mr. Zechariah Bates, nearly east, to Middle Street, at Tirrell's mill (near the present Town Hall). There N~ ere, to be sure, some lanes with fences at both ends, private property, but those previously mentioned were all of the roads of that day.
There was then but a single wharf, hardly worthy of the name, a rude landing place, but sufficient for the wants of the few settlers about the head of the river, the site of which is flow covered by th e lumber wharf of Messrs. Loud & Pratt. In those days the good people of the place were obliged to go to meeting at the old meetinghouse at North Weymouth, or the almost equally convenient one at North Braintree. This latter was for those "over the line." Then every one was obliged to go to meeting in his own parish, which had a strictly defined geographical territory that must not be encroached upon under any circumstances by a neighboring pastor, however attractive. Each minister was lord of his own nianor, and woe be to the unfortunate who attempted to trifle with his authority. Rev. Jacob Norton, a name not without honor even beyond the limits of his own parish, occupied the pulpit with credit and dignity.
Nor were the wants of the physical man provided for unless by similar inconvenience, there being no store nearer than that of Dr. Cotton Tufts, at North Weymouth, near where the present railway station of that name, on the South Shore Railroad, now stands; and for many years after the only burying place for the greater part of the people was that of the old cemetery near the same spot. The mention of the name of Dr. Tufts reveals the fact that the Doctor, also, could only be found at his house located upon the spot where the residence of Hon. James Humphrey now stands. From this_ it appears that "we," that is, Weymouth Landing, instead of being the center of a flourishing community, were but the straggling outskirts of an equally straggling village.
But to return. What was Weymouth Landing at the date before mentioned? Standing where the flag staff in Washington Square is now located but two houses could be seen, - that of Mrs. DeborAh Weston. '~hose husband, Capt. Eliphaz Weston, had only recently been given up for lost, having never been heard from since sailing on his last voyage some few years previous, and the Arnold Tavern, where F. W. Lewis, Esq., lived. Mrs. Arnold was a sister of Mrs. Weston, and this, as well as nearly all of the property in sight from the spot, had been the property of their father, Capt. Alexander Nash. By whom the first was built and occupied, neither history nor tradition tells; but, as it belonged to the share of Benjamin Nash, youngest son of l,ieutenant Jacob, in his father's estate, it may fairly be presumed to have been the homestead, and it would do no violence perhaps to historic truth to conclude that it was the homestead of Edmund Hart, bought by James Nash, Sr., May 21, 1666, and presented-the next clay, "by turffe and twigg,"
Washhunton Square. This picture was taken some time between 1840 and 1850
and was uwd on a bill of the Union Bank of Weymouth and ll,ai.me
to his son Jacob, in which case it has been in the hands of the family of its present owners two hundred and fourteen years.
The "Old Arnold Tavern," family tradition says, was erected by Capt. Alexander Nash; and since he was married in 1741, at the age of thirty-seven, and being a man of wealth and position, its age can undoubtedly be reckoned from that time, the old homestead being too strait and too unpretentious to accommodate the newly married couple, especially since the bride came from one of the aristocratic families of Abington. This house has, besides these, other and more important associations. It occupied a central position between Boston and Plymouth and Bridgewater, being at the fork of the road whence it branched off to either of the two latter places. It has also a Revolutionary history. Could its old walls reveal the secrets they have heard, undoubtedly many a tale of treason (to royal authority) would come to our ears, since here was the rendezvous of the Committee of Safety of this and nine of the926 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
neighboring towns, and here they held their sessions, with Hon, Cotton Tufts in the chair, and Capt. Asa White, acting secretary: but we must not dwell too long upon one point, or we shall riot have time to finish "
A little distance to the north, along the river, was the house occu. pied by Mr. Samuel Whitmarsh, bought by him in 1804 of Samuel Arnold, where the South Shore Railroad station is now locatedand a few rods below stood the residence of Mr. Asa Pratt, in whic~ his son, the late Captain Cornelius, was born, owned in 1773 by Mr. John Tirrell, of honored memory, and earlier still by Mr. William Sargent. And just between that and the river (Strielt Brook) was another old building, used partly as a dwelling and partly as a storehouse for freight, after-wards the "Packet house ' " while nearly opposite, on the other side of the street, was the old house of widow Blanchard, occupied in 1730 by Mr. Jonathan White, and probably built by him about that time, upon the site of which Mr. Nathaniel Blanchard afterwards built his residence which is still standing.
Farther down upon the left, and directly upon the bank of the river, was the residence then or shortly after of Cotton Tufts, Jr " built probably about 1700, by Mr. Thomas White, grandson of the first settler of the name, and looking one hundred years ago very much as it does now; and a little beyond, upon the left also, was the homestead of Maj. John White, a property which had probably descended from father to son, from the first of the name who settled in Weymouth, and which is still owned by a grandson of the Major, although of another name, Samuel Webb, Esq. Beyond was the residence of Mr. Ichabod Pratt, grandfather of Martin K. Pratt, Esq., formerly occupied by Mr. Nathaniel White.
Returning, and passing along Front Street towards the south, there was probably no dwelling, with possibly the exception of the old house occupied a generation later by Mr. Jacob Dyer (undoubtedly a part of the old White estate, sold by the administrator of the late Hervey White, and removed to Broad Street), until the house occupied by widow Sarah Kingman, sold in 1800 to Mr. Nathaniel White, was reached. The old house was torn down soon after, and that built upon its site or very near it, which is now occupied by Mr. H. E- Perry. Mr. Samuel Hunt's house, the next above, was situated on the right, directly opposite the present Broad Street. On the corner of Front and Summer (using the modern name) was a very old house which had many occupants at various times, the last being Mr. Zachariah Bates, and at about the date of which we write, by Mr. Isaac Phillips. It has long since gone the way of all old houses, and has been replaced by the more modern structure built by David Hunt, Esq., and later owned by Mr. Thomas Mellen.
The next upon the right was the old home of the Deacon Hunt family, upon whose site stands the residence of Maj. Elias Hunt, one of the fainily; while just beyond, upon the left, at the entrance of
the lane leading to Mr. Josiah Holbrook's, was the new house just erected by Dea. Ebenezer Hunt, which is still standing. Above, still upon the left, was the homestead of Zadoc Nash, and upon the
0~n.;tp qirlp of the hivhwav Tinnn the hrnw of the hill lived T.;Piit. Timothy Nash, whose nearest neighbor upon the east was Mr. Joseph Nash, the baker, whose dwelling was probably at that time fifty years old, built to replace an old one at the foot of the hill (a few rods in the rear). Above these, a quarter of a mile, and very near too, and on both sides of, the old parish line, were the residences of the Richards brothers, Nathaniel and Thomas, while as much farther beyond, upon the left, lived a third brother, Mr. James Richards, 2d, whose son Minot occupied the house until within a few years; the last house to which attention is called being that of Mr. Samuel Bates, on Winter Street, a few rods from its commencement on Front Street, and strictly speaking in South Weymouth, as were the two last mentidoed. There was probably in early times air old house standing nearly opposite Mr. James Richards', before spoken of, and another on the slope in the rear, and a little to the north of Mr. Jacob Richards'; also, a place called the " Humphrey place," where Mr. David Richards' house now stands, reached by a lane leading from Front Street, near the Thomas Richards house. This lane probably was continued until its intersection with that from Deacon Hunt's house, near the then residence of Mr. Josiah Holbrook, and since owned and Occupied by the late Mr. Philip Torrey. About half a mile to the east of Mr. Thomas Richards' on the ridge, to the south of the Sunken Hole, was the homestead of Mr. Ephraim Pratt, long since disappeared. These were all of the houses, it is believed, that were then standing in the limits of Fore River, with the exception of those on Summer Street, which will now be taken up.
The first house on Summer Street, on the right, near the point where it leaves Front, was that of Mr. Asa Hunt, familiarly called " Dr."; an old-fashioned one-story house, then probably forty or fifty years old, afterwards owned and occupied by his son Asa, Jr. The next, a few rods to the south, also on the right, and a little back from the street, was the old red dwelling, two stories in front and one on the rear, well known to all except the children of the present generation, then the residence of Mr. Zachariah Hunt, brother of Deacon Ebenezer. It afterwards passed into the hands of Mr. Alexander Nash, and was still owned by his widow when it was demolished a few years since.
Further to the south, and on the left-hand side of the street, was the dwelling of Mr. Ebenezer Kingman, since taken down and the present building (which has been raised front one story to two) erected. It is now the residence of Mr. George Mayer. The old barn on the opposite side of the street is yet standing, although bearing the evident marks of extreme age. An eighth of a mile farther on, and the residence of the late Mr, job Nash came into view; then the dwelling of his widow Abigail and her sons Flislia928 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
"a" ner 'a Cner, and proDably the youngest child of tile sixth generation from the original settler now living in town. This house is on the west side of the highway.
Beyond, and still to the right, stood the home of Capt. Moses Nash, whose daughter Rachel, the widow of Dea. John P. Nash, her second cousin, died upon the same spot, although in a laterbuilt dwelling, and whose memory is still fresh in the hearts of her children. Twenty or thirty rods above on the same side of the way was an old one-story dwelling, occupied by Aminiclab Hayden, afterwards sold by Zadok Nash to his son Ebenezer, and now occupied by Mr. William Hunt. Farther on, where the street makes a sharp turn to the west, stood the old residence of Capt, Jacob Tirrell, a long, low house which was soon after vacated for the new and more pretentious dwelling that lie built on the southerly side of the street, nearly opposite.
Still westward, the street running many rods to the north of its present location, there was found the old house occupied then, or soon after, by Mr. Lemuel French, and which was replaced not many years later by the house connected with the Tufts farm, as it was called, This stands some fifteen or twenty rods to the south of tile site of the old house, and upon the road which was straightened about
the time of its erection. It was occupied by Mr. Chauncey Williams for many years. This dwelling was occupied in 1751 by -Mr. Nathaniel Vinton, of whom tradition says that he lost nine children by the great epidemic that raged so fatally in this town during that and the following years, and that he became so discouraged that he left the place. This was perhaps the old home of the Greens, one of the original settlers, as the record informs us that Nathaniel Vinton married Ann Green. The latter family disappears from our records about that time.
Farther on, and in the bend where the street makes another sharp turn, this time to the south, standing upon the right of t highway, was the house of Mr. Ebenezer Colson, while back to t north, in the fields, at a considerable distance, upon the "old W man 11 place, lived his nephew Bolter; and on the west, also at s distance from the road ' was the residence of Mr. James Richa
rds, Sr. The Colson House was formerly the homestead of the Bolters ' and which, aside from many additions and alterations, is probably one of the few remaining houses erected during the first century after the settlement. A short distance in the rear of this was the "King Place," the old house perhaps then standing, 1790. Both of these families were among the earliest settlers of the town, and these were probably their first plantations.
Half a mile farther on was the homestead of Mr. Silas White, which was burned in 1809, and the present dwelling house was erected the year following; while still farther on was the residence
of Dea. John Vining, and then came the fence. The two lastmentioned dwellings properly belonged to the territory of South Weymouth, but all of the others claimed alleLiance to the Landing. No other dwellings known to the writer were existing at that time in the district described, although to the east, perhaps halfway to Front Street, was the "Ager farm," a name now almost extinct in town, but at that day one of no small importance. The dwelling has long since disappeared, and the once fine farm is lost amid the growth of wood and brush that now covers its then fertile acres.
During the succeeding generation wonderful changes came over the spirit and material prospects of the people, only less wonderful and astonishing to them than those that have taken place in the later years have been to us. Early in the present century, the turnpike, "Queen Anne's," was opened, giving more direct communication between Boston 4nd Plymouth; and a few years later, the New Bedford pike, affording still greater facilities for travel. Lines of coaches between Plymouth, New Bedford, Bridgewater and Boston were established, passing directly through this village, most of which made it a stopping place, necessitating better hotel accommodations, and, as is usually the case, the man for the occasion appeared in the person of Capt. Samuel Arnold, and the "brick tavern" soon sprang into existence.
Men employed in building the roads found wives here and made this their home. New buildings grew as if by magic, while the active leader in all the enterprising movements of the (lay, finding time dragging heavily upon his hands, established a shipyard, and iinported his workmen from the shipbuilding towns along the South Shore. This new element gave additional life to the already thriving village, and the young men, instead of going to sea, as formerly, remained more at home, and bethought themselves of home interests, and manufactories grew apace.
Instead of no store, Dr. Tufts opened one upon the corner now occupied by the Tufts Building. Soon Webb & Hunt's sign was seen in the building later known as Mr. John G. Worster's provision store, only upon the opposite side of the way, whence it was removed soon after, while just over the line was the little wooden building used soon after as a grocery store by Maj. Amos Stetson. Many of the old buildings mentioned previously in this sketch were torn down to give way for more modern and commodious structures, while numbers of new houses of vastly more pretense were erected, some of which, even now, give evidence of no mean skill and taste in architecture.
Nor were the people content with the old-time religious privileges, and the result of this feeling was the establishment of the Union Religious Society of Weymouth and Braintree, with a meetinghouse, imported from Hollis Street, Boston, in their own midst, where they could go to meeting, instead of the one, two and three miles of travel of the previous years.QCIJT~ru XYIV~)kAnf T~t T HOWS Or' TIIE, OLDEN TIME
To attempt, in the year 1923, to locate the homes of a century ago, and of the people whose daily toil took them to and fro over the old streets and lanes, or even trails, seems like a difficult task, but it has proven a most interesting one.
Of the dwellings, it may well be said in the words of the poet, "They have folded their tents like the Arabs and as silently stolen away." All visible traces of some are as truly hid as though the shifting sands of the desert had blown hither and thither over their foundations for years.
Alany of the humble dwellings of one hundred years ago have crumbled and disappeared under their weight of years; some were devoured by fire, and others were spirited away to a new location on wheels with the help of several yoke of oxen.
"Never a summer went by," said an older inhabitant, "without our seeing a house moved through some of the streets," and again, in speaking of six houses now side by side, he remarked, "Only one is a native, the other five were transplanted." In one instance a
. house was sawed in two and one-half moved about two miles with the help of twenty yoke of oxen.
Still others have been so successfully camouflaged by the addi. tion of a sun porch, a porte-coch~re, a dormer window or even green blinds and white paint that their ancient character is not suspected.
Concerning the people who occupied the homes, many interest. ing stories were told. Many of the former inhabitants were well known from their connection with the affairs of the town and State, and some nationally. The estimate of population for 1802 gives the population of the South Parish as 838, and the old records locate most of the people in the districts then known as the "Old City ... .. Boxberry ... .. Back of the Pond," and the "Thicket," while along tile roads leading to the meeting-house the houses were scattering.
The meeting-house was the center, but it was located in an unsettled district, and near it we find one of the century-old houses, the house of Dr. Howe.
Ilon. Dr. Appleton 11owe. - Dr. Howe began his "practice of physic and blood-letting" in the only house on Gun House Lane (Columbian Street), in response to a formal invitation from twelve of the leading citizens to settle in Weymouth in 1819. For forty. seven years lie was the leading physician. He held many distin. guished positions in military circles (commander of A. and H. Artillery), senator from Norfolk County, chairman of school committee, and president of the Norfolk County Medical Society.
Jonathan Darby. - Proceeding along Gun House Lane (which Dr. Howe describes as not wide enough for two vehicles to pass) toward what is now Columbian Square, we come to the house of Jonathan Darby, built by Micah Turner about 1720, and later owned by John Reed. It was where the Opera House now stands. Beside the house stood a building with the store on the first floor, and a hall above, Darby Hall, the principal hall in town. The house was later moved to a new location on Central Street, while the store became a dwelling on Ralph Talbot Street.
David Joy and Simon Joy. - Oil the same side of the street with the Darby home was the house of David Joy, built where the house of Dr. Vincent Tirrell now stands, and next to this was the house of Simon Joy, the same house that now occupies the site next to the Odd Fellows' Building near Independence Square. This is now owned by Albert F. Clapp.
Seth Curtis. - Oil the easterly side of Pleasant Street stood a solitary house, the home of Seth and Sophia Pratt CLirtis. Charles Curtis, who now lives there, is a descendant of William Curtis who came to Scituate in the "Lion" in 1632. Miss Helen F. Bass occupies one part of the house.
Dr. Nathaniel While. - The Dr. White house was at the corner of Alain and Pond Streets, the site of the house occupied by Dr. Charles Greeley, dentist. The town records show that oil March 13, 1727, it was "Voted whether the Town will give to Dr. White five acres of land below -- Bill, that was formerly granted to John Vinson, provided the said Dr. White continues in the Town of Weymouth and in the practice of physic and in case he shall remove out of town, said White to purchase said land or return it to the Town again." Passed in the affirmative. This house was later owned by Charles Loud.
The Old Colony 11ouse (Thomas Vinson). - In front of where the Wessagusset Garage now stands was the house of Thomas Vinson, built about 1723 in what was then "a Wilderness" according to records still in existence in the handwriting of Col. Thomas Vinson. This house became a public house in the days of the old stagecoach, and was known as the Old Colony House.
Vinson. - Continuing along the Turnpike (Main Street) toward Abington we come to the Vinson house, later occupied by Nicholas Thayer and now John W. Pierce's.
Daniel Loud. -Across the street a little farther along was Daniel Loud's. This house is now occupied by W. T. Loud, a descendant, and has always been in the Loud family. It was the only house on the east side of the street for nearly a mile.
Barney Thayer, Willicon Canterbury, and Cyrus Blanchard. - A littlesouthof Derby Street on the westerly side was BarneyThayer's (this house is now owned by Edward Halligan), and next to that was William Canterbury's, a famous old-time musician. The next beyond was Cyrus Blanchard's on the site of the present John Kohler house. The old house was burned about fifty years ago.
Reuben Blanchard, Jerimiah While, and Nathanel Loud. -A short distance above, through the woods, was Reuben Blanchard's, Terimiah White's, and Nat Loud's. and there were no more houses ;n that side of the street until we arrive at the Fountain Square recently renamed in honor of Parker B. Jones.
A ger, Abner Paine, Warren Thayer, Poole's Tavern, Isaac ClaPP, and Thomas Blanchard. - On the opposite side, however, we pass the Ager house which had been moved from the "Old City," and farther along the house of Abner Paine. At the square the home of Warren Thayer occupied the fork of the roads, and diagonally opposite was Poole's Tavern. Tile house of Isaac Clapp near the Abington line completes the list on the Turnpike, and above Poole's, on the old road, was a house owned by Thomas Blanchard.
From the Turnpike, running easterly, was the way through the "Old City," and there w%re several houses located there, but the only one of which we have any record, besides the Ager house, was owned by Eliphalet Loud, the ancestor of John W., John J. and Dea. Jacob Loud. This way passed through clense woods and joined Union Street, perhaps at White Street or near the Rockland line.
David Whitman. - From this point to the meeting-house was the way of the "Old Central Trail" which we of to-day know as Union Street. There were many houses, the first on the right being the David Whitman house, at the end of the short lane leading from the present Union Street. Tlfe old house is now (1923) being repaired and remodeled.
An old account says of David: "He lived in Weymouth, where his son David, Jr., now eighty-two years of age, who married Olive Webb, still lives, and whose children are David, Ebenezer F., Thomas and four daughters " (descendants of John, Ist, who came to New England in the "Confidence.")
David Whitman, Jr. - The first on the left is an old house probably built by David Whitman, Jr., at a later date. It was the home of his son, Simeon, and is now occupied by Mrs. Laura Stoddard. This house and the previous one were originally considered in Weymouth, but are now included in Rockland.
James 11olbrook. - On the same side of the street as we proceed toward Weymouth was the home of James Holbrook, a brother of Abner Holbrook, the two homes being about opposite the Elmwood Cemetery. A daughter, Lucy Ann Holbrook, became the wife of Rodney Torrey who occupied the house later. In recent years it was occupied by John Turpin, 573 Union Street.
Abner 11olbrook. - The next dwelling on the street belonged to Abner Holbrook (born Jan. 21, 1772), husband of Mehitable Beals, and was probably built by his father (Abner, born March 9, 1741). The present house is the original one, and is a fine example of the sturdy old houses. The roof has the rounded rafters, boarded lip and down with very wide boards, and was covered with the handshaved shingles, some of which were removed only a few years ago.934 CENTU,RY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
Two large beams or posts may be seen on the inside at each side bf the front door and others in the corners of the rooms. The old windows are curious, with the nine small panes above and six below. In the kitchen the monster brick fireplace (with the oven and chim. ney) may still be seen, filling the whole center of the house. The old well is still beside the dwelling, and only recently has the old well sweep been replaced by a more modern windlass. The present occupants, Misses Bridget M., Ellen and Elizabeth Carney, are the daughters of Michael Carney, who purchased in 1857, from Charles and Thais Totman, the latter a daughter of Abner Holbrook.
John 11olbrook and Silas 11olbrook. -On an old map may be seen a short lane leading to the right (easterly) as we pass down Union Street toward South Weymouth. and at the end of the lane the word " Holbrook." The writer is led to believe that this may have marked the site of John Holbrook's home, or of his son Silas, as many allude to the near-by region as Captain Si's. This house and that of David Whitman, previously mentioned, and a third, marked Shaw on all old map, seem to have been located on an old trail or road that ran to the east of the present street.
Samuel Bates. - Next on the easterly side of the road was Sam. uel Bates', in later times known as the home of Melvin Bates. It was until recent years owned by the Bates family, and then became the property of Thomas Kiernan, 520 Union Street.
David Cushing. - Across the street, a little way beyond, was David Cushing's (born at Weymouth Dec. 23, 1784). He married Celia Bates who lived near in the house just described. Davi(I Cushing was of the seventh generation from Mathew Cushing, grandfather of James H. Cushing, who lives in this locality. House burned.
Christopher Bass. - The next neighbor was Christopher Bass, hushand of Sophia Curtis Bass. According to an old deed of 1833, Christopher S. Bass and Minot Holbrook, cordwainer, in considcration of $400, granted to Lydia Shaw (who lived in the next house) a certain lot of land situated in Weymouth, containing three and three-quarters acres, more or less, together with a dwelling house and shop standing thercon, butted and bounded a4 follows: easterly, oil Box1berry Street so called; westerly, by land of Kingman Shaw; northerly, by land of Nathaniel Cushing; and southerly, by land of David Cushing. Christopher Bass was men. tioned in all old town report as one of the tithingmen. House burned,
John Shaw. - On the same side at the turn of the road was the home of John and Lydia Shaw. The old house still stands, and is 407 Union Street, the home of Mrs. Addie E. Purcell.
Jotham Shaw and Jesse Shaw. - Across the street and consid. erably back from the road is the site of an old house, which from indications was located on a trail to the east of the present street. It was later moved to the location of the present home of Mr. Fred Churchill, and while there was either burned or torn down, a per.
tion of the old premises being included in the rear of the present building. In the chimney of the house is an old brick taken from fl,e Old hnii~p with the date 1751 chinned ont of the farp~ This house, with the next on the same side and the one just described across the street, was occupied by the families of John Shaw, Jotham Shaw and Jesse Shaw. The latter name seems to be connected by deeds with the location of Hosmer Freeman's house, formerly known as Minot Holbrook's.
Samuel Burrell.-.The next houses on the left as we proceed toward South Weymouth were the Burrell houses, neither of which is now standing, doubtless owned by Samuel Burrell. In the opinion of the writer the one toward Rockland was owned by Samuel Burrell, Jr., who received it from Samuel Burrell by deed Oct. 26, 1816, the property being described as located on the highway to Abington, through Boxberry Street, so called; also bounded by land of the heirs of khn Shaw. This house was burned. The other house stood about on the site of the present home of Mrs. Howard Baker, and was torn down and a neNv house built later oil the next lot for David Weston Cushing and Mary Burrell Cushing.
Abiel 11unt. -On the opposite side just below stood the home of Abiel Hunt and Priscilla Hunt. Xlention is made of Abiel Hunt as committee in charge of the school in District 7 in the 1842 Town Book. An old map of this property (1825) shows it as the "Estate of Robert Hunt," with a school located in the westerly corner of the plot. The house later came into the possession of Jeremiah Holbrook who married Elizabelli Hunt.
Charles Pratt. - Charles Pratt and Sally Burrell Pratt lived near on the northerly side of the street. An old deed cites the purchase of this house by Charles and Sally from Samuel Burrell, It has always been in the possession of the family. An interesting relic, an old sword, belonging to Maj. Joseph Pratt, father of Charles, was found in the house. At present the house is owned by Mary B. Linfield, 302 Union Street.
David Littlefield. - The next old house was a considerable (listance away on the opposite (southerly) side, the ]ionic of David and Sarah Shaw Littlefield, situated not far front the house of Thomas Whitman, on the side toward Rockland.
Thomas Whitman. - The Thonlas Whitman house was originally a cabinet maker's shop, and is the one to which Benjamin, son of Thomas, moved in 1826. It formerly had a flat roof which was burned and replaced with a sloping one. The large beams and fireplaces bespeak its early construction. Thomas Whitman was the husband of Betsey, daughter of Nathaniel and Mehitable Torrey Holbrook. He was a son of David, Jr., who lived near the Rockland line, and the grandfather of the present owner of the house, LizzieL. Whitman, 229 Union Street. This family connected with Marcus Whitman who explored Oregon.
Warren Shaw. - Oil the north side of t lie street were the two houses of Warren Shaw, one occupied by Franklin Shaw or I lenry,936 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
his son, and the other by Warren. The latter is the large house now occupied by Harold B. Bates and William J. Yourell (236 Union Street). The house, 230 Union Street, was probably the first home of Warren Shaw, now the residence of John Greenwood.
District 7 School. -The school came next on the same side of the street. It was used later as a shoe shop by Henry Shaw, and then as a barn by Henry G. Marden at 226 Union Street.
Minot Thomas. - The Minot Thomas house stood next to the schoolhouse on the same side of the road, the site of the house formerly owned by Boylston White. Minot Thomas was a manufacturer,of slices, the son of Capt. Andrew Thomas, and husband of Nancy White Thomas.
Jotham Shaw. -Just above the bend in the road known as May's Corner was the house of Jotham Shaw, son of John Shaw. This house was burned.
Jonathan White. - On a short lane leading to the left as we pro. ceed down Union Street was the house of Jonathan White and Mary White. He was called "Old Maker," and was well known about town. One son was George Washington White (Captain George), and another was Jonathan, Jr. This house still stands and was known as the Garvin house.
Andrew Thomas. - From what is now known as May's Corner to the meeting-house was a lane on which lived Capt. Andrew Thomas with his wife Polly (Loud). Captain Andrew carried on a farm and made boots. He had eleven sons and one daughter, Nancy, who became the wife of Warren Shaw. On the death of his wife he married Deborah Whitmarsh. A son, Bailey Thomas, was well known. Col. Henry A. Thomas, once postmaster of Boston, was a descendant. The original house is standing at this date (1923) and is occupied by Mrs. Carrie Richards.
James Gorham Torrey. - On the same side of the lane, a short distance beyond, there were originally two houses of which it seems impossible at this time to secure authentic information. The location is marked by two old wells, one in the yard and one under the present house, occupied by Cornelius S. Daley. The story is told of the house being burned from ashes put in the yard. An old deed proves the property as belonging to James G. Torrey about one hundred years ago, the present house having been moved there later from what is now Columbian Square.
Oliver C. Pratt. -On the left side of the lane lived Oliver C. Pratt, the husband of Lydia (Hunt) Pratt, daughter of Robert Hunt. This house is known to the older people of to-day as the Robert Hunt house, and became the property of Clarence A Hunt. The old house has been torn down and the bungalow oi Davis C. Witherell occupies the site. The old house might well have served for the original in some of Nutting's paintings.
Jonathan White, Jr. - Next on the same side of the lane was the house of Maj. Jonathan White and Mary, daughter of Joseph White and Hannah Pool White. Major White was the son of
Jonathan, who lived on White Lane, now White Street. In 1828 he married Mary L. Vining. Noah Vining, Jr., was for many years a selectman of the town. The house later passed to Seth Curtis. it is now in the possession of the 'Noah Vining family, 95 Union Street.
Dr. James Torrey. -As we approach the meeting-house we pass the home of Dr. Torrey on the right. The old house stood on the side of the building of M. R. Loud & Co., and was later moved to a new location on Union Street and occupied by William Healey, who purchased it from John S. Fogg. (Now Mr. C. S. Daley's home.)
Dr. Torrey came to South Weymouth "in '1783 and settled at the corner of Pleasant and Union Streets, and for thirty years was the only physician in S. Weymouth." Mr. Henry B. Reed, an influential citizen, was born in this housewhen it stood in the square.
John G. Rogers. - Across on the corner was the house and store of John G. Rogers. Thelane on which the last few houses were located became the accepted street, and this accounts for the turn at May's Corner.
Returning to the southern border of the town, the house of Isaac Clapp was the only one on the turnpike between the Abington line and Poole's Tavern, but on what is known as Thicket Street there were several houses, one owned by Percy Loud, near the Abington line, and opposite lived Eliphalet Loud, next came Capt. Ziba Chessman's and near by lived Demetrius Thayer, --Blanchard, afterward the home of Cyrus Tirrell; Cyrus joy, John Bates, Silas Shaw, and then we arrive at the brick tavern at the junction of Pond Street, known as the Ho~ey Tavern, and later occupied by David Shaw, and still latei by Alden White. Now continuing on Pond Street we pass Dea. Samuel Blanchard's on the east side of the way, where Ralph P. Burrell now lives, and Benjamin Tirrell's on the west side. Then, passing through the woods, we next come to Perez Loud's house, and, farther along, at the top of the hill, nearly opposite the old schoolhouse which was burned Oct. 30, 1845, was Reuben Loud's, and at the foot of the hill Reuben Bates lived. These houses, with the exception of the two Loud houses near the Abington tine, and the John Bates house on Thicket Street, and Deacon Blanchard's on Pond Street, are all standing.
On the corner of Mill Lane and Pond Street lived Capt. John Vinson of the sixth generation, and across the street lived Col. Thomas Vinson of the fifth generation, while Thomas Vinson of the third generation lived in the "Old Colony House," at the fork of Alain and Pleasant Streets. On Pleasant Street, between the two squares, were only two houses on the west side, one owned by Simon joy, built in 1737, which is still standing and owned by Albert F. Clapp, and the other was Lieut. David Joy's, where Dr. Tirrell now lives. There was only one house on the east side, owned by Seth Curtis, At the corner where the Opera House now is stood the house of Jonathan Darby, built by Micah Turner about 1720.939 CENTURY-OLD HOUSES IN WEYMOUTH
Columbian Street was only a "Gun House Lane," not wide enough for two vehicles to pass, with only a single house, owned by Dr. Appleton Howe.
Daniel Loud lived in Independence Square, on the site now owned by Dr. Greeley. This was formerly the home of Dr. White, the first physician in South Weymouth. The first post office in South Weymouth, in stagecoach days, was in the basement of a house located where the blacksmith shop now stands. The house now owned by James Tirrell was the home of Harvey Reed, the first boot manufacturer to start a store in Boston, and Mr. Tyler, the parson of the Second Church, lived where Joe Taylor's house now stands. Theold parsonage was afterward moved up the street and now stands just south of the Highland Cemetery. Quincy Reed's house came next, and this house was formerly a tavern and was associated with the Reeds for more than one hundred years, now occupied by John Nichols.
On the land now occupied by the Nevin School stood Squire Eliphalet Loud's low but roomy house where many of the Louds of the earlier generation were born. The pupils of the Nevin School can now recognize the old well on their playground in front of the schoolhouse.
On the east side of the street lived Isaac Remick in the house now owned by Melville Cate, and Josiah Blanchard lived at the corner of Main and Columbian Streets, on the site occupied by John Stetson. There were no houses on the hill, but at the bottom of the hill lived Maj. Samuel Bayley (from whom the hill was named Maj. Bayley's Hill), also his son, in the house now owned by James Tirrell. Alexander Loud's house came next, is still standing and is occupied by Mrs. Leonard joy. Nathan Blanchard's house is still standing at the junction of Front and Main streets.
On Main Street stood the Jeremy Stetson house, where later Oran Shaw lived. This house was moved to the next lot and was later occupied by Lucius Gurney.
The Nathaniel Shaw estate and the houses of Noah Stowell, Micah Blanchard and Edwin Shaw complete the list on this street. At the southerly corner of Main and Middle Streets was the house built by Leonard Tirrell, later occupied by Nathaniel Bayley who married Mr. Tirrell's (laughter Lucy. This house is now a public house conducted by Mason & Wilcox.
On the other corner stood an old house that was moved to Main Street and occupied by Lemuel Merritt, which has again been moved to Highland Place, and Leonard Tirrell built the house now owned by Joseph Cummings. The Trufant house, now occitpied by Annie Damon, was built by Jonathan Trufant. Tile timber was got out in Hopkinton by some of Dr. Howe's folks and carted here with ox teams. I Opposite was an old house later owned by Jason Orcutt, but clatiflg back to a much earlier generation, It first faced on Front Street, and when Main Street was built tile front doo- was changed to face Main Street. Ezra Trufant, brother
old house that stood in the field back of this place; it was owned by Eliphalet Ripley. At the corner of West and Front Streets stood an old house built by Joshua Nash who was born in 1789. This was later torn down by Thomas J. Nash and he built the present house now occupied by Thomas V. Nash, Register of Probate. Opposite was the house owned by Elbridge Nash, father of William the grocer, now owned by the widow of George Gardner, and next to that was the little red schoolhouse which later was moved to Main Street, where Alfred Tirrell now lives, to make room for a larger building which was afterward moved to Highland Place and afterward made into a dwelling on Front Street. Down the hill, near the Mill River, lived Amos Merritt who had a shop on the river bank where he made needles. Next was the house of John Thomas just at the bend of the road, and farther along lived Cyrus Loud, while across the street was, first, the old grist mill owned by Ezra Reed who lived in the last house in this ward, now occupied by Harold Condry. This house was built in 1767 by John Reed. Between this house and the mill lived James Tirrell, the father of James, Minot, Kingman and Albert, this place having been in the Tirrell family for seven generations.
On this Tirrell property is an old, nearly forgotten path through the woods, and on this ancient path, about halfway between Front and Summer Streets, many years ago lived Richard Ager who mirried Abigail, the daughter of Lieut. Jacob Nash, and the first 'of their six children, Vas born the last day of the year 1698, which proves the antiquity of the house. It was torn clown several years ago by Kingman Tirrell.
On West Street stood the Vinson Tirreil house which was moved to Main Street and is now owned by the Melville family, and Mr. Tirrell built the present house, now owned by Arthur G. Sanborn.
Across the street lived Zachariah Kingman, and this old place is much alluded to in old wills and deeds as "the Kingman Lot." An old barn which stood here was bought by James Reed and moved to Park Street and is now owned by Marshall R. Abbott. Near the Braintree line in Weymouth, on West Street, was where Den. John Vining lived. This house was built by Frederick Reed who was born in 1746. Across the street was where the Ager or Ayres family lived, one of the oldest families in town. Both of these houses have been torn down. On Summer Street lived Thomas White, the ancestor of most of the White family of Weymouth.
On Middle Street were three houses, the first the ol(I Vinson house, later owned by Ebenezer Blanchard, the father of Winslow and Christopher, pioneer boot manufacturers. This house was owned by Thomas Barnard for many years. Next was the house of S.